GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin i felt some vauge sideways movement from th front shocks for some time now, I took th front shocks apart for an inspection. It seemed ah little unstable at triple digit speeds & also at parkin lot speed th feelin of looseness in th sliders persisted. I added Progressive front springs ah few months back thinkin they would cure th slop & loose feelin,i noticed an improvement but not ah complete cure. Well th shocks really weren't in that bad ah shape. There was ah high spot on each tube, shiny on one leg & worn through th chrome ah little on th other leg about half th size of ah dime both sets of bushings were worn some, th top more than th bottom. I did th work at home replacin th tubes,seals,both sets ah bushings, & new dust seals. Th price for th parts was about 250.00$, it was all covered by HONDA under warranty, & my service manager is so cool he even let me borrow his seal driver for th seals.Th front end does seem better now, not drastically better but firmer, tracks better all looseness is gone,& th bike dosen't wander around at 130 like it did before th rebuild.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Do you suppose the wheelies have anything to do with that? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Front Shock Oil Change

Changed shock oil at 12,000 miles left shocks oil was very dirty, Right side oil looked fresh. Stayed with Honda 10 weight oil.
After seeing the oil in left shock I will change the shock oil again next fall.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey Ron. Think they'd have warrantied it if they saw your avatar! :D :shock:

Don't worry. I won't tell.

Crazy people gots to stick together.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ron, it looks like your just fixin to land after coming off a ramp. I've seen the wheelie video on here, but I haven't seen anyone jump an 1800 yet.
You the first :?: :?:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lewis

Lewis yer doin th same as callin me ah Liar, i DON"T like it. Th photo is genuine un touched if you don't believe me put yer money where yer mouth is. In this day & time there are still some honest people & some of em have balls.

G

·
0 Posts
I believe this jump was proven to be a fact when questioned in the past on the old board. I believe this jump was at a RR crossing. Plus anyone that has been riding with Ron knows he could pull it off and is a straight shooter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't think lewis was trying to be a cad or calling you a liar Ron. Just a humorous response about the magic show. As far as being airborne on a wing, no big deal - UNLESS you're getting some real air!!

That small amount is just a fun whoopee over a RR track or other small ramp type in the road. I've had the rear wheel to come free of the ground a couple of times - always gives the "grin" factor a boost - and I'm not an aggressive rider at all (my brother doesn't agree with that statemant at all).

You want a thrill, from a full stop, come off the line at about 5,000rpm with a full twist of the throttle and a hold the throttle full twisted until you're in 3rd. Better be ready for that 2nd gear shift quick!! Now, that's a thrill!! (I'll never admit to doing that 3 times in a row!!)

I believe the photo withour reservation and have been reading Ron's posts for a long time now and he's always come across as a straight shooter, so if says it so, then I believe it.

Ken H>

·
Registered
21,057 Posts
From what I understand the photo was taken somewhere in Memphis comming out of a tunnel. If I ever get to Memphis will for sure be looking for the spot, looks like fun to me. by the way in case you havn't noticed Ron has a great sense of humor also

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lazyboy said:
Hey Ron. Think they'd have warrantied it if they saw your avatar! :D :shock:

Don't worry. I won't tell.

Crazy people gots to stick together.
And I thought he was doing frame testing for the re-weld job :?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ron....my first post was simply trying to point out the bike was completely off the ground, not just a wheelie as mentioned. I know the story...I know it's a real photo and never stated otherwise. Sorry my friend if I have offended you. Guess my brand of humor didn't make it across the state?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lewis

Lewis, I'm ah little touchy after bein called ah liar by another board member when i first talked about jumpin my Wing, this happened on th board in view of all these fine folks, prompting me ta post this picture, as proof of my claim. Even after i went to th trouble & risk ta git th picture & post it i was still accused of dishonesty. It seemed ta me that you were doin th same thing evidently i was wrong. :oops: Forgive me Bro.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
JUmp a Wing

All it takes is the right road setup and a set. Get the speed up, pull back and up at the crest on the bars and it will sail. I have one spot that for years I would jump my Concours and other bikes. The dips were just right. Had a small dip and than a rise and drop on other side. Air all the time anytime. Drop it down ass end first. If not, be prepared to replace front shocks and related items. The first time you jump a Wing, it is a little imtimadating with the weight and size. After that it becomes fun. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts