GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang
I'm new here, and new to the Gold Wing Club! Just got an 04, and have been reading your forums for a couple of days, and am about to attempt replacing the front speakers with some Diamonds. If I read the posts correctly, are there only two bolts(allen head type under the speaker grills) that I have to remove, and then pull up so that the inserts into the rubber grommet deals pop loose??? And then to be careful about the elect connector going to the buttons under display panel? After looking, and finding the two round silver allen head screws, it looks pretty easy provided I can get the electrical connector unplugged without pulling any wires, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Welcome to the board!

That sounds like the plan.
If you turn the bars full lock you can look under the gage panel and see that pesky connector. look for the Little tab and push a small screwdriver in there to get it loose.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did mine just 2 weeks ago and had many reservations before hand. The new install was much easier than I feared and the Diamonds sound great! Best improvement I have made to the wing, but then I love my music :D The connector under the panel is a slight pain, just remember to pry the prongs toward the front. This could have been made much easier with just a little more length on the wires :x guess that would have cost Honda too much? Also just pry down on the speaker box to get to the upper-outer screw holding the speaker in.

Stuffing the speaker box with polyfill before installing the new speaker makes a big difference also!!!!

Good luck and enjoy the improved sound

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the advice. Needed a little reassurance before digging into the project.
Thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from the board here, it seems that the Diamond speakers model M341i had recieved good reviews(wish I could remember the poster), so that is what I will try to install this weekend. Any other thoughts or recommendations??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Diamond 351's

I read somewhere that they put the Diamond 351 (5 1/4") in the rear pods. Any reason why the 351's wouldn't fit in the rear. Chet at Rattlebar's used the Sony Explodes which are a 5 1/4" speaker.
Randy F
Concord,NC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the speakers installed! And want to thank you guys for the help. I honestly would not have torn into the bike without having read all of your posts and reviewed the boards here.
Now my next quest will be to find the most recommended driving/fog lights and research the tips on doing that myself. Seems like there has been discussion on the switches burning out on some, and alot of talk about relays etc.
Got a major trip planned for May up through the Apalachains(sp) and up into the Norheast, so I'm trying to get her all ready.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The Diamonds they are showing on that website are the older model. The current version looks much different (go to the 3rd photo down):

http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/speaker_gl15&valk.htm

We just got our first shipment in yesterday from Diamond and I can't wait to get them in my bike.

Installing a 5 1/4" requires doing quite a bit of extra work. Unless the speaker fits all the way up against of the mounting surface, the speaker loses the ability to operate at full capacity.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Amplifier

And does anyone know the output of the stock audio system? Knowing Honda, that is probably "classified" information!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
LEWIS

I Really love the Diamonds but hope to install your amp next winter. I know that it not an easy install, can I do it?

I know that is unanswerable! Are there extremly detailed instruction included or should I seek out some assistance for this project?

Wish you were closer :wink:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lewis, the speakers I got look the same as in your photos. You weren't stocking them at the time of my purchase.
One thing that is strange is the specs are different on the Diamond Audio web site depending upon where you look.
The specs on the back of my speakers says 20 watts nominal 40 watts max.
This matches the pdf file on their website.
They do sound good with your amp. [/img]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts