GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 1800 with 42k miles. I have read a bunch of posts on replacement of front springs. One guy commented about bike setting low in front.

My question is : Is there a spec for ride height? What is the deflection from unloaded to loaded front forks.

So far I have no issues with handling, but thinking about some winter improvements.

Are progressive springs worth the extra $$$?

·
Registered
934 Posts
According to the service manual, spring length should be 13.20 inches with a service limit of 12.94 inches. See attached for reference.

I have a 2004, the best thing I did was to have Traxxion redue the front end. Handles like it's a sport bike!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you are not having any issues with handling, why bother? I "upgraded" to Progressive springs when I disabled the anti-dive valve after I had successive failures (blowouts) of the left fork oil seal. After continued leaks at the left front fork seal I "upgraded" to Progressive Monotubes. After the "upgrades" I never noticed any change in how the bike handled.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Springs

On my 02 I had the Progressive springs. Cost about $100. On my 2012 I put in the Monotubes. About $300. A big improvement over stock. I did not notice any difference between the two. Don`t be concerned about the numbers. This is not the space shuttle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The GL1800 has a lot of sag, or spring compression, just from the weight of the bike. I put zip ties around the left fork leg to measure how much travel was being used and found I bottomed out the forks at least once during almost every ride. The anti-dive was working as designed. At 80,000 miles my springs measured within the service manual specification for free length and still had 50% sag (61mm) under my 165 lb riding weight. Most tuning guides suggest sag of 30-33% for touring bikes but this high sag figure is how Honda designed the GL1800. For most riders and all two up couples it seems the bike is really undersprung. I liked the ride with the stock springs though so I installed spacers in the forks to get sag to about 40% or 49mm. Now I do not bottom the forks, the ride is the same, and I got about 12 mm higher ride height out of the deal.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have an 04 also w/ 131K mi on it, 10 yrs ago I installed a set of Race Tech front & rear springs, we ride 2 up & pull a Bushtec.
Race Tech springs are based on the rider & passengers weight, there are a variety of springs that can be used, example: stock rear spring is rated for 900 lbs, I installed a 1200 spring, the fronts are heavier also, anti-dive valve is blocked, steering stem bearings are All Balls, the rides & handles like NEW w all these miles..
You make the call, I installed this suspension in 6 bikes, nobody ever complained....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Within the past month I upgraded my 2002 (60,000 miles) to Progressive Monotubes

I didn't think the old ones were bad - but I blew the Left fork seal and they needed doing -

At the same time I added the anti-dive disabling shim from reading here the knowledge of the hive mind --

Now that they are done -- I am amazed at how much better the bike rides.

Do them yourself -- it's not that hard .

I did new sliders inside the tubes, and all new seals and the bottom bolts, and fork oil of course -
the Monotubes are excellent

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know this is the expensive option, but I've tried OEM, Traxx. springs, PMT's, and finally sprung for the Traxx. AK-20 kit. There is simply no comparison and I believe all of my attempts prior to the AK-20's may have been an improvement, but the AK-20's are a transformation to the front end. I've ridden well over 120k miles on 1800 Wings and only the last 20k has been on AK-20's. I REALLY wish I would have done it sooner (worst part is I probably spent nearly as much screwing with all the other options prior to buying the best).

I know the AK-20's are pretty pricey, but if you install them yourself, it can be a lot less expensive. Anyone who has the ability to do a fork rebuild and has access to a bench grinder can easily accomplish the install. If you go this route, opt for the Traxxion spring compressor kit as well. You will need one to put the caps back on (this is not the case for all the other options I tried).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The GL1800 has a lot of sag, or spring compression, just from the weight of the bike. I put zip ties around the left fork leg to measure how much travel was being used and found I bottomed out the forks at least once during almost every ride. The anti-dive was working as designed. At 80,000 miles my springs measured within the service manual specification for free length and still had 50% sag (61mm) under my 165 lb riding weight. Most tuning guides suggest sag of 30-33% for touring bikes but this high sag figure is how Honda designed the GL1800. For most riders and all two up couples it seems the bike is really undersprung. I liked the ride with the stock springs though so I installed spacers in the forks to get sag to about 40% or 49mm. Now I do not bottom the forks, the ride is the same, and I got about 12 mm higher ride height out of the deal.

May I ask the size of the spacers you installed??

Reactions: Redgecko

·
Registered
685 Posts
My progressive Shock upgrade is still holding up on my 04 after at least 10 years. Bought bike new in spring 04. 161000 on it now.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I usually keep good notes but I can't find them and can't remember for certain. I think they are 10 mm 1" PVC and the extra washer adds 2 mm.

Ok, thank you. Will do some further checking n that item and look at them when I do the stem bearings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts