GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I see looking down from the top at my front suspension,the left side is different lots of space and the right side is tight. Is this for adjusting or is it coming loose. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Well, I am not sure what exactly you are showing or from what perspective; but that ain't right.

Drop a PM to Max and/or Fred because they have been in there a lot. Max has posted video of loose front parts too.

For the rest of us, maybe back that camera off a good bit and work you way in in a couple of pics so were know were to look to see how ours look.

Good luck!

prs

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is what I see looking down from the top at my front suspension,the left side is different lots of space and the right side is tight. Is this for adjusting or is it coming loose. What do you think?
This is what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Same thing here.

8CD3A542-D01F-4E7C-A599-0E06BE9075DD.jpg

1D333408-6940-4FCE-B071-2DDBB3AB8E62.jpg

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ok, let’s try throwing a ? ?. Does your bike drive down the road straight or drift to the right which it would do if the front wheel is offset to the lift? Do you need to add weights to one of the side bags to compensate and go straight??

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
The upper and lower front suspension pivot bolts positions are set in a similar fashion to how you set the rear swingarm. The position of the collar is adjusted (with a special tool) by setting the torque of the collar (5.5 ft/lbs) against the pivot links inside the suspension arm when installed between the frame bosses. This insures that when the bolt and nut are installed that all the links are already pulled tight. Then once the position is set the bolt and nut are installed and torqued (47 ft/lbs) to hold the arm to the frame bosses. The system is designed so that the proper amount of torque (5.5 ft/lbs) is applied to the collars and links inside the suspension arm (as mounted between frame bosses), not so that it is centered. If the collar is over-torqued it can cause binding in the arm and stress on the frame. If it is under-torqued then you could have slop in the link which would allow it to float left and right.

The left/right position of the arm is pre-determined by the designed lengths of the collar and pivot links inside the arm, and should be nearly identical on all bikes once the collar is set to the proper torque. The only real variance of the system might be in very small differences in the spans between the bosses on the frame that the arm fits between due to manufacturing tolerances of the frame itself, but I would suspect those differences to be in the thousandths of an inch.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The upper and lower front suspension pivot bolts positions are set in a similar fashion to how you set the rear swingarm. The position of the collar is adjusted (with a special tool) by setting the torque of the collar (5.5 ft/lbs) against the pivot links inside the suspension arm when installed between the frame bosses. This insures that when the bolt and nut are installed that all the links are already pulled tight. Then once the position is set the bolt and nut are installed and torqued (47 ft/lbs) to hold the arm to the frame bosses. The system is designed so that the proper amount of torque (5.5 ft/lbs) is applied to the collars and links inside the suspension arm (as mounted between frame bosses), not so that it is centered. If the collar is over-torqued it can cause binding in the arm and stress on the frame. If it is under-torqued then you could have slop in the link which would allow it to float left and right.

The left/right position of the arm is pre-determined by the designed lengths of the collar and pivot links inside the arm, and should be nearly identical on all bikes once the collar is set to the proper torque. The only real variance of the system might be in very small differences in the spans between the bosses on the frame that the arm fits between due to manufacturing tolerances of the frame itself, but I would suspect those differences to be in the thousandths of an inch.

So what I am reading here is it appears normal with the design.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
So what I am reading here is it appears normal with the design.

Yes, it is absolutely normal. The left/right position of the suspension link arm is controlled by where the pivot collar on the left side of the bike butts up against the left side frame boss. The right side collar is then adjusted to make sure there is no slack in the collars.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I just went out to the garage to look at mine, the gaps appear to be more even right compared to left on mine, but similar to photos. Makes sense, all of the alignment is referenced to the left on this model. Previous model was "left handed", RE swing arm and front axle anyway.

prs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts