GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disappointed in the ride of my 2012. I was in hopes it would ride better than my 2008. It seems to have a harsher ride than my 08. I put 2,000 miles on it and decided to disable the anti-dive valve which I had done on my 2008. Now it is considerably better. I understood they had made an improvement on the suspension but I can not see any change. Has anyone notice a change in the ride? I like the bike fine other than the front suspension. I put progressive springs in my 2008 and I did not feel they did any help in the harsher ride. I think they improve the handling at high speeds in curves but I do not do that much of that kind of riding. I am not sorry I purchased the bike at all but do not see any changes from my 08 other than looks.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
As I heard they put a much heavier oil in the forks. As I saw from pictures from Max, there appeared to be different parts in the 2012, but I'm no suspension expert. I suspect the thicker oil is a factor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel that the front fork is making many micro adjustments and few large harsh ones. I can see how you could think that the ride was "harsh". I personal like the stiffness. And hated the ride of my 2001 with the anti-dive bypassed.

To each their own......

Ride Safe,
Mark

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Same suspension
possibly different grade fork oil

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Traxxion

I read that thread. He is just trying to sell his Traxxion which is a good setup for some people. But I test rode one and could not see it makes the bike ride any better. I am sure it improves the handling but I have no complaint in the handling. I had two BMW LT's and I like their front suspension and the ride better than the Goldwing. I do not like the expensive maintenance of the BMW and as far as I am concerned the Goldwing is fine other than the front suspension. With the anti-dive valve disabled it is not to bad.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I read that thread. He is just trying to sell his Traxxion which is a good setup for some people. But I test rode one and could not see it makes the bike ride any better. I am sure it improves the handling but I have no complaint in the handling. I had two BMW LT's and I like their front suspension and the ride better than the Goldwing. I do not like the expensive maintenance of the BMW and as far as I am concerned the Goldwing is fine other than the front suspension. With the anti-dive valve disabled it is not to bad.
Nicely said. After a year or so when that front end is drooping a set of heavier springs, fresh fork oil, new bushing and a fork brace will really improve the ride-better than new

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nicely said. After a year or so when that front end is drooping a set of heac=vier springs, fresh fork oil, new bushing and a fork brace will really improve the ride-better than new
My 2008 had 54,000 on it and it never did notice the front end dropping . I put a set of progressive springs with bushing, seals fresh oil and could never see that much difference. I have always checked the torque on the steering bearings and have never had a front end shake or ever used a fork brace. Just the harsh jar on the handle bars is what I do not like. With the anti-dive valve disabled does help.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Your findings are much the same as mine!
Long story shortened: Disabled ADV, fork oil change when triked and the ride is OK for me. Maybe, besides the fresh fork oil, the rake kit took some of the harshness out, don't know for sure.
I do know lots and lots of "Full Monty's" have been sold w/only 2 known returns to OEM suspensions and money refunded and one naysayer that waited 4 1/2yrs to complain about the system and tell everyone that has it, how they wasted their money:wrong:.
Must do something for the ride/handling that a lot of people approve of:thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
2012 suspension

Have owned 2002; 2003 and just bought 2012 GL1800. Compared it (rode them) side by side with a new 2010. 2012 definitely has a slightly firmer more predictable ride. Fully loaded, it handles much better than my 2003... less of a "tiller" effect. Wife says the 2012 does not beat her up as badly on bad roads because it doesn't oscillate and bottom-out abruptly like the 2003.

Rear preload requires lower settings.

Analogy: 2001-2010= Lincoln town car; 2012= BMW M5

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Have owned 2002; 2003 and just bought 2012 GL1800. Compared it (rode them) side by side with a new 2010. 2012 definitely has a slightly firmer more predictable ride. Fully loaded, it handles much better than my 2003... less of a "tiller" effect. Wife says the 2012 does not beat her up as badly on bad roads because it doesn't oscillate and bottom-out abruptly like the 2003.

Rear preload requires lower settings.

Analogy: 2001-2010= Lincoln town car; 2012= BMW M5
Amazing what a bit heavier oil in the forks can do.

G

·
This is my first Wing so I don't have anything other than my FJR, ST and BMW to compare it to. The suspension on my 2012 GW is actually pretty nice. The backroads here in Arizona are a little rough and I'll admit that sometimes the bars vibrate when I hit a rough patch. :?

Yes, the front end has a lot of "feel" to it but frankly I prefer that. I rode down to Nogales this morning and Hwy 82 has some really nice curves, nothing really tight but lots of nice sweepers. The Wing amazed me, how smooth it is and how nice it "sets" through a corner. On my previous bikes you had to gage the entry, midpoint and exit with some intent to make it fun and feel right. The Wing on the other hand tolerates a lot of error on my part. One corner I entered a little late and I just gently pressed the bar and it almost seemed like the Red Rhino dropped into the groove or easily corrected my sloppiness. :thumbup:

You mentioned removing the anti-dive feature. One of the things that bothered me about other bikes I've ridden is the dive from hard braking that happens. I really like is the fact that the front end of the GW doesn't dive when I brake hard. Guess I'm missing something here. Like I said maybe if I had owned older Wings.:?:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anyone use the heavy oil in an older bike? Results? What weight is the heavy stuff?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 2004 for many years with the Full Monty and ran a RF. A good set up. However, for the best bang for the buck go RaceTech, a better set up. I did try running the RF and gave up on it and went back to stones, a big improvement. I ran a CT for so long I forgot how nice a good MT is on the back. Ah, we all live and learn. I did go a bit far with the steering damper but it has helped after learning the settings. The damper took awhile to dial in. It was frustrating and the directions were not all that good or I was just to stupid to follow them. But all is good now and the bike is dialed in and I am one happy camper!

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
According to the service manual, the fork oil viscosity and level are identical to the previous year model bikes.

When I first test rode the 12, I thought the suspension felt much better. But now that I own one and have put some miles on it, I'm not so sure its such a dramatic improvement as I first thought. I also really don't see any internal changes to the fork when looking at the manual. I had originally thought the when Honda said they had new "bushings" that they were referring to the entire fork as a "bushing", but now I'm thinking that all they really changed was the upper bushing between the fork slider and fork leg, and left everything else the same. The only other change I know of is that they tried to stiffen up the lower triple clamp, which probably explains why the bike seems a bit more responsive to steering inputs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I did some research on part numbers for the 2012 front forks/steering stem a couple of weeks ago and both the top and bottom bushes in the forks have changed on the 2012 bike, as Fred says the bottom triple clamp has also changed, these are the only changes to the front suspension on the 2012 Wing.

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
According to the service manual, the fork oil viscosity and level are identical to the previous year model bikes.

When I first test rode the 12, I thought the suspension felt much better. But now that I own one and have put some miles on it, I'm not so sure its such a dramatic improvement as I first thought. I also really don't see any internal changes to the fork when looking at the manual. I had originally thought the when Honda said they had new "bushings" that they were referring to the entire fork as a "bushing", but now I'm thinking that all they really changed was the upper bushing between the fork slider and fork leg, and left everything else the same. The only other change I know of is that they tried to stiffen up the lower triple clamp, which probably explains why the bike seems a bit more responsive to steering inputs.[/QUOTE]

As I was reading through this thread, that (fork oil spec) was gonna be my next question. Regarding the difference in bushings, even though the part number may have changed; I would not be confident that the actual part changed until a close side by side comparison was done. The mis-information that the fork oil was now thicker and that the rear tire is a fatter/flatter Bridgestone seems to be pretty much de-bunked. Fred; when it comes time to refresh your front fork bushings, please take time to compare the new replacements against some new "old style" ones. If you do not have any "new old ones", let me know at the time becasue I try to keep some on hand and can mail to you for comparison. I'm leaning toward the only front suspension change being the rib under the triple tree bottom brace.

prs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts