GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you who at one time have had both progressive springs versus traxxion springs(not the AK 20 kit, just springs) in the front end of the GL1800, which springs did you like the best as far as ride, comfort, etc.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dont forget Race-Tech

·
Registered
927 Posts
An explanation of why I have a preference may convince you. Or not.

"Progressive" brand springs, like the OEM, are dual rate. They have a soft rate over some initial part of their travel, and then go, fast, to a much firmer rate. It sounds reasonable, but there's a problem. Most of the soft rate is used up as the bike sags. So you have too much sag, 60% on the stock bike(!), and get very little benefit from the soft rate. You may even feel the transition between the two rates as harshness over bumps.

A linear rate spring like Traxxion or Racetech, sags less with less preload, giving you more bump travel. 30-40% sag, depending on the preload spacer. This allows the rate to be less than the stiff rate of a dual rate spring.

I'd love for a Honda engineer to explain why they chose dual rate. The concept could work on a light bike, on a 900 pound tourer you'll get what a stock Honda does. Excessive sag, and a harsh feeling fork. The only advantage I could see is if Honda wants to allow for the fact some people overload the bike. I still don't understand 60% sag. The Progressives are better, a little more than 40% sag, but I think a linear rate beats the dual rate Progressives, you still don't get much benefit of the soft initial rate.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts

"Progressive" brand springs, like the OEM, are dual rate. They have a soft rate over some initial part of their travel, and then go, fast, to a much firmer rate. It sounds reasonable, but there's a problem. Most of the soft rate is used up as the bike sags. So you have too much sag, 60% on the stock bike(!), and get very little benefit from the soft rate. You may even feel the transition between the two rates as harshness over bumps.

A linear rate spring like Traxxion or Racetech, sags less with less preload, giving you more bump travel. 30-40% sag, depending on the preload spacer. This allows the rate to be less than the stiff rate of a dual rate spring.

I'd love for a Honda engineer to explain why they chose dual rate. The concept could work on a light bike, on a 900 pound tourer you'll get what a stock Honda does. Excessive sag, and a harsh feeling fork. The only advantage I could see is if Honda wants to allow for the fact some people overload the bike. I still don't understand 60% sag. The Progressives are better, a little more than 40% sag, but I think a linear rate beats the dual rate Progressives, you still don't get much benefit of the soft initial rate.
What you are saying is true, I tried the progressive springs and ended up going back to the stock springs only new ones. the Progressive spring made the front end feel bumpy all the time. I did not know the traxion was single rate I may try them out

·
Registered
899 Posts

:agree:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Race tech 1.1 with Gold valves in my 08!! LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Started with progressive for about 12,000kms. That was a good improvement over OEM. Then upgraded to Traxxion 1.2 springs only for about 9000kms and that was a definate step up from progressive. Then went to the AK20 and that was a huge improvement.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Traxxion is the only way. Full Monty. You will not believe the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts