GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hill Start, ABS and drive mode flashing warning lights came on upon test drive after removing and changing front tire. Any thoughts to why this happened and how should I proceed to fix. My first thought is I installed the ABS sensor incorrectly. Second thought is the pinch bolts are to tight and finally the spacers are inverted and installed wrong however the bike seems to ride smoothly and tracks well. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is the ABS ring itself deformed? It is a very flimsy ring, did you damage it when you reinstalled the wheel? I know for a fact (because I did it) that if the spacers are reversed, the ring will get damaged. And while waiting for the new abs ring I figured "hey i'll just remove the ring and be able to ride without abs." Wrong. With the DCT, if that ring is removed, the bike knows it and will not move out of first gear.

Is your bike a DCT? If so, does it shift out of first gear?

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Cyber crystal ball is murky. Best suggestion is to disassemble, inspect for damaged ABS components, and the re-assemble by the book. It is not that the pinch bolts are too tight, although that and the axle nut are places where a torque wrench is to be used rather than a calibrated wrist. You will need to clear the codes too.

prs

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Is the ABS ring itself deformed? It is a very flimsy ring, did you damage it when you reinstalled the wheel? I know for a fact (because I did it) that if the spacers are reversed, the ring will get damaged. And while waiting for the new abs ring I figured "hey i'll just remove the ring and be able to ride without abs." Wrong. With the DCT, if that ring is removed, the bike knows it and will not move out of first gear.

Is your bike a DCT? If so, does it shift out of first gear?
Most plausible.

prs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is a DCT. Except for the warning lights the bike rides fine. I will check the ABS ring If I’m able to fix does or how would one clear the warning lights. Will they reset themselves?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I know NOTHING about such things. With that said, I'd disconnect the battery for 2 or 3 minutes then reconnect. No idea why but that seems to be a quick fix for so many electronic devices - cut them off then back on and "Wa La", they work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem still persists after removing and reinstalling front wheel. I checked closely that all nuts were torqued to spec, no visual damage to ABS sensor or ABS wheel, disc calipers work and look clean. But the warning of a combination of three lights ( ABS, Hill start, and driving mode) flash when the bike gets under way at about 5 miles per hour and will not clear unless the bike is stoped and restarted. Then at 5 or above back to flashing. Now I’m thinking maybe it’s a software issue due to the new tire but a mechanical solution is preferred because it’s DYI. Any other possible thoughts from the Forum ?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
You need the service manual which will give you the trouble shooting routines and how to access, decode, and clear the "mil" codes. Fred Harmon has a very nice and economical video series for DIY service on the 2018 bikes and if you subscribe access to the info is immediate. PM FredH and inquire if the info you need is in the series (it is, except for the code descriptors IIRC). He might even help you with trouble shooting. BUT, you are under warranty and the dealer should be able to take care of this.

prs

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
It sounds like the bike is not getting the signal from the ABS wheel sensor. Check the wire that comes from the sensor and make sure it isn't damaged. Jack up the front of the bike and spin the wheel and watch the ABS sensor ring and make sure it isn't bent. That would be the most likely cause, because that ring will bend easily. It has to be perfectly straight, and the distance between the pickup (hall-effect) sensor and the ring has to be correct or it won't work.

My best guess would be that you tweaked (bent) the sensor ring when you were working on the wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am truly grateful to Fed H. and this is a testament to the Forum. The ABS wheel was ever so slightly bent and upon straightening with a shim cleared all error messages. Unknown at the time, I caused this when I was breaking the bead on the tire. Well ’m back in business and lesson learned, careful DYI’s when changing the front tire of the ABS wheel. It’s very delicate

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Consider getting Fred's videos. I had his videos for my previous GW and purchased his videos for the 2018. They will save you a LOT of headaches. Plus Fred is super good about pitching in to guys like us that get in trouble from time to time. Kinda supporting the guy who takes care of us when needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts