GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you had the cupping problem on the front tire after only 4500 miles? I have e-mailed Dunlop about the tire but have not had a response from them. I know radials are much worse about this than bios ply, but 4500 miles, thats bad!! :banghead:

Think there is a chance the dealer would go to bat for you on the tire? :shock:

This is my first Wing (an '06') and dont have much experience with a Honda dealer. There are two in the area, but I did not buy the bike from them ( would not deal on the bike).

Anyone else had a problem like this with so little mileage of the front tire? :x

·
Registered
343 Posts
Low air pressure is the culprit in most cupping issues. You need 41 PSI in that front tire if you want it to last. The pressures listed in the owners manual and inside the trunk lid are bogus.
As for support from Dunflop, Lots a Luck!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rottendog said:
Low air pressure is the culprit in most cupping issues. You need 41 PSI in that front tire if you want it to last. The pressures listed in the owners manual and inside the trunk lid are bogus.
As for support from Dunflop, Lots a Luck!
OK I have been running the 36 PSI recommended (check it often) is the consensus 41psi for the front? :?:

PS: Is the "Dunflop" a statement or just a typo? :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Guy that familarized me on the bike with me at the dealer I bought it at said 41 front and rear. Service manager where I live, a fellow Winger, said the same. I will run 41 and 41.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Forget getting Dunlop to respond. My D250's started cupping by 2K and I had to replace at 5K because the wobble was so bad. I stayed on Dunlop for 6 months and my dealer tried with no luck. But that was last year maybe you will have better luck. And yes I was running 41 the dealer even set it up at 41. Changed to Avon's and have not looked back. Good luck.

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
I know that it is commonly suggested to run high tire pressures in this forum to get maximum tire life, but the downside is that it significantly reduces grip.

The trade is "Tire Mileage vs. Safety".

Personally I would buy more tires, and run lower pressures.

The cupping can be completely elimanated, but the fix is expensive. :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Every front tire I ever had would cup on my VTX or GL, I always replaced them when I changed the rear, usually 10-12k. They get to a point and dont seem to get worse to me. I have actually seen the cupping dissapper, buddy said it was cause of lots of riding in the mountains, I dont know. I have a new Metz on front with new tappered bearings and new Traxxion suspension, will see if anything changes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Max
What pressures would you reccomend after the fix.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Max McAllister said:
I know that it is commonly suggested to run high tire pressures in this forum to get maximum tire life, but the downside is that it significantly reduces grip.
Not in my experience, with this qualifier......riding plus/minus 5mph of posted speed limits, slowing down when roads are wet, and not riding public streets as if I'm on a closed race track.

With that said, I run about 10% higher tire pressure front (40) and rear (44).

regards

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Max McAllister said:
Personally I would buy more tires, and run lower pressures.

Replace tires at 5K.... that is going to get expensive! May have to sell the Goldwing :shock:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Lasher;

Max is technically correct and I bet he is correct about the high priced fix too since shot shocks will reall cup an auto tire. BUT, unless you are a very exceptional rider, there is plenty of grip in most brands/modles of our tires with 41# R&R - D250 excepted and your E-3 may be a bit less sticky too.

prs

·
Registered
234 Posts
PS: Is the "Dunflop" a statement or just a typo?

It is a common term, we have called them that for years. But I think that it refers more to the original D series tires from the factory, much more than the E3"s.
I have been running about 40-41PSI in mine, just from habit. I have run Metzelers for years, and always ran them at the max pressure on the sidewall.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Max wrote:

What is "significant"? How did you measure this? Can you provide the data?

Or is your statement antecdotal?

The Bridgestones on my Kaw Vulcan would cup....as they would on my buddies Nomad.

Does Kawasaki make motorcycles with bad suspension too?! Should we have started a class action suit against them?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My front OEM Dunlop 250 started cupping at 3K.
I was anal about keeping the pressure at the recommended 36 or 37 psi. (I forget what is on the sticker on the trunk lid)
I heard the Dunlop reps were telling people at Americade that they needed to run at least 40 psi to keep it from cupping and to forget what the sticker listed.
So.......
I went to the Honda dealer where I had bought the bike, told them the story and they said "tires are not covered under warrantee” BUT they would call Dunlop and did so with me standing right there.
Dunlop said no coverage. When my dealer told them their reps were telling people to run 40 psi Dunlop folded and said they would cover 1/2 of the replacement. My dealer said I wanted complete replacement at he thought I was right in my demand. Again Dunlop folded.
I got a new tire and my dealer installed it free. (I had to remind him I had just bought the bike there and it would be good customer service)
So......
Go to your dealer and push him to talk to Dunlop with you there.
Tell him what the reps are telling people and push the issue.
My tire has 16K on it (I keep it at 41 psi) and there is still no evidence of cupping.
As far as not being able to get Dunlop tires because of the strike……
I needed a replacement rear at 16K because of cupping. (I didn’t start running 42psi in time) I called my dealer and asked him to try and find me a new 250 and he did in about 2 weeks. They ARE out there if your dealer wants to put out the effort to find them.
I realize you are dealing with an E-3, but my actions work for either. Cupping is cupping and Dunlop is Dunlop.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
41 and if it is cupping then the damage is done

new tire time

welcome to your new goldwing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always run at least 41 and check daily if you are doing any distance. Like, 300 or 400 miles a day. I don't know where the air goes but it gets away. If you are running 2 up with luggage on a trip and pushing pretty hard, keep the rear jacked up to about 44 at least. Check the pressure every morning, before you hit the road. Like I said, the air gets away. This opinion is based on one front cupped tire and two rear cupped tires damaged over several thousand miles. My experience is that if they are howling in a curve, the are cupping.
Robin

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone use the Stone 709 ? May try one when this E3 bites the dirt. And what about the Avon Venom (sure is expensive) anyone use it?

Anyone see a problem using a different brand on the front than the back? These are the first radials I have had on a bike?

I know, I know, too many questions :22yikes:

Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you review the endless tire threads you will see that the Bridgestone 709 front tire is very popular. Many recommend it. Few have anything bad to say about it. The 704 rear, however, seems to be considered good, not great. I have just switched to Stones after D 250's and E3's. Not too many miles yet, but they are great riding tires. Very quiet. The E3's handled good when new also, but were not as quiet as the Stones. The E3 rear cupped severely. So much so I removed it even though it probably had 2 or 3,000 miles left. The howling had turned into a buzzing vibration in the curves that, to me, masked the road feel of the tire. The front seems ok, except a ridge is appearing in the center of the tread that is about 1" wide. Apparently, Dunlop uses a harder tread in the middle. Some people have posted some very high mileage reports on the E3's so a lot of your choice depends on how and where you ride.

Yellow Wolf posted his opinions about tires which I considered to be useful. You might do a search for that thread. He constantly pushed all of his tires to the max in twisties and I respect his opinion regarding the handling and grip. His mileage on all tires was far less than most of us, but still offers a good comparison between brands. Mixing brands seems to be of no consequence as they are all radials.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I switched out D250's at 7,000 miles just because I was to take an 8,000 mile trip. I didn't mind the D250's at all. I'd run the Elite II's on my 2 1500's and loved them. E III's- BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though I did a pressure check/fill EVERY DAY and kept the pressures at 41/42, they CUPPED BADLY!!!!. Around 6,000 miles, they were so loud that I could no longer enjoy quiet rides on the back roads of the Virginia's and that area of the country. When I got back home, I got rid of the E III's, eventhough they had plenty of tread left, and put a fresh pair of D 250's on. I have 7,000 miles on the D 250's and they are quiet with no handling problems. I ride one up and ride the 1800 like my ST1100!!!!!. Next set I'm going to try are the Bridgestones. Most other Wing owners here feel the same-THE E III'S SUCK!!!!!!!
Chris

1 - 20 of 51 Posts