GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my 2018 Goldwing:
Have a Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol Series 3 195/55R16 87H Tire in my garage, will be mounting on the rear in a few weeks. Looking for front tire recommendation. Stock 2018 front size is 130/70R18

Have seen references to “double darkside” on this forum, but it appears that those claiming double darkside are actually using motorcycle tires (BT45, etc.) on the front.

1. are there actually any car tires with appropriate size for the goldwing (front)? All I can find is “temporary spare tires”
  2. Are the tires you guys reference (BT45, 709, ...) any better than the OEM tires the 2018 goldwing comes with (BRIDGESTONE G853 RADIAL G, DUNLOP D423F)
  3. What do you recommend for the 2018 goldwing that would pair well with the rear Pirelli Snowcontrol?
I live in central Florida, mostly straight roads. But when I do hit a curve, I want maximum traction for safety, and I want a tire that turns easily. I also want maximum braking traction (for dry and wet roads). Am not overly concerned with how many miles I will get out of a tire.

Thanks in advance for recommendations, especially for actual experience on a 2018 goldwing.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,792 Posts
For my 2018 Goldwing:
Have a Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol Series 3 195/55R16 87H Tire in my garage, will be mounting on the rear in a few weeks. Looking for front tire recommendation. Stock 2018 front size is 130/70R18

Have seen references to “double darkside” on this forum, but it appears that those claiming double darkside are actually using motorcycle tires (BT45, etc.) on the front.

1. are there actually any car tires with appropriate size for the goldwing (front)? All I can find is “temporary spare tires”
  2. Are the tires you guys reference (BT45, 709, ...) any better than the OEM tires the 2018 goldwing comes with (BRIDGESTONE G853 RADIAL G, DUNLOP D423F)
  3. What do you recommend for the 2018 goldwing that would pair well with the rear Pirelli Snowcontrol?
I live in central Florida, mostly straight roads. But when I do hit a curve, I want maximum traction for safety, and I want a tire that turns easily. I also want maximum braking traction (for dry and wet roads). Am not overly concerned with how many miles I will get out of a tire.

Thanks in advance for recommendations, especially for actual experience on a 2018 goldwing.

I don't think anyone puts an actual CT on the front. We us a BT45 and call it a Darkside tire because it is made to be a rear tire of a cruiser.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
130/70R 18 is the size; common to the older GL1800.

Many of us swear by the Bridgestone G709 while using alternate tires on the previous generation of bike.

I'm not certain why it wouldn't work in that application on the '18+ bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I use an Avon Roadrider rear MC tire. Mount the tire rotation backward. This with a Pirelli P1 on the rear.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have tried a few different brands of front tyre for my wing over the 15 years or so now But I always keep coming back to old faithful the G709 IMO a great trye that does everything well rain 'grip' milage comfort :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have tried a few different brands of front tyre for my wing over the 15 years or so now But I always keep coming back to old faithful the G709 IMO a great trye that does everything well rain 'grip' milage comfort :thumbup:
In the cost effective/least labor intensive smiles for miles category... it's always what I end up back on as well.
Now, if :money1: is truly no object, the 'Stone g851f is the best "grip" I ever got out of a front.
Course you gotta pay to play, it really wont last long at all :nojoke:
Best of on your search!

(oh, & I'm runnin' a very aggressive 205/55 DS rear. Works perfect with either 'Stone mentioned)

·
Administrator
31,970 Posts
I found for my riding style double dark side was not for me . The front end added weight does not like curve carving and chews up edges of tire really fast for me .

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
130/70R 18 is the size; common to the older GL1800.

Many of us swear by the Bridgestone G709 while using alternate tires on the previous generation of bike.

I'm not certain why it wouldn't work in that application on the '18+ bikes.
thanks for the info, sounds like the G709 is a winner with many of you

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the cost effective/least labor intensive smiles for miles category... it's always what I end up back on as well.
Now, if :money1: is truly no object, the 'Stone g851f is the best "grip" I ever got out of a front.
Course you gotta pay to play, it really wont last long at all :nojoke:
Best of on your search!

(oh, & I'm runnin' a very aggressive 205/55 DS rear. Works perfect with either 'Stone mentioned)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Aloha Mr. Whiskey,

Could you share what CT that "Very aggressive 205/55 DS rear" is?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
For my 2018 Goldwing:

On a 2 wheel Goldwing, the forks are too narrow for a car tire. The Eurowing trikes use car tires but the forks are widened to do that and from what I understand, quite expensive. I can't speak on the 2018's, on my 2010 the BT-45 worked very well on the front. Try a tire and if you don't like it, try a different one, same with the rear tires. I'm pretty sure you'll find a combination that you'll like. As always, YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Thanks for response.
Why do you mount the tire rotation backward?

See JW.'s post. The link he provides explains it very well. The other reason for running a rear tire on the front is that the tread on a rear tire is deeper, giving you almost 3/32" more tread for your money right from the start. The great thing about the Roadrider is it doesn't track the grooves and tar snakes as bad as others, and they're reasonably inexpensive. On J&P Cycle's site, they're about $118 with free shipping.

·
Registered
880 Posts
MountainRider thanks for posting that Avon Roadrider. Looks interesting since i also run a Pirelli P1.

Snow Control and G709 and other Bridgestone front tires i have used didn't get along on tar snakes.
The P1 does get along a lot better.

I tried the G851 and am running the Bridgestone Exedra and got about 10k out of each. Both work better in rocks than the G709 did for me. Felt like i was on ice with that tire. Hated it. Sorry guys that like it but it just didn't work for me.
I still have 2 Exedra in the basement.

I had a BT45 forward mounted on my 88 Wing and loved it but not sure about it on this '12.

Curious if anyone else has tried the Avon AM26 Roadrider and if they ever ran the BT45 to compare?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Indianawantsme, AZgl1800 over on the other forum, and several others run them and swear by them. I wore my first one out rather quickly, but it wasn't the tires fault. I took a long trip with sloppy front wheel bearings (note to self, don't do that).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks.. I didn't know John had Avon on the front of his Wing or i could have asked him personally twice last year. And looked to see how it was wearing.
He probably has tried the BT45 also.

We stopped to meet him to eat in Claremore, Oklahoma close to his home place on the way to Tucson and then at a get together in Indiana.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts