GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front tire pressure for my 09, 1800 says 36#
but some say run with 41# here. I have stock dunlop/bridgestone tires.
which would be the best pressure to reduce the risk of "cupping"
Thanks again for all your advise.:lol:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I don't have the Stones, but if I did, I wouldn't put 41 lbs in the front tire. It'd be too harsh for me. I prefer instead 38 lbs. A softer compromise and my Metzelers do not cup at that pressure.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Doug, both tires are going to cup, it's the nature of the beast. You can mitigate some cupping by paying attention to tire pressure and balance. But by the end of those tires service life they will be cupped. Some people can ignore the noise from cupped tires and the slight rumble felt in the bars with it leaned into a curve, but others can't stand it and will swap out servicable tires just for the peace and quite.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I run 32F/36R. I have some cupping, but the tires stick a lot better.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I've tried all sorts of pressures and found that for me (and the wife) 41psi is way too much. I live in Ohio and it rides like a buckboard with that much air pressure. We have really good roads here. :joke: I usually run about 38 psi in the front and top it off when it gets down to 36. I've never got more than 8000 miles out of a tire anyway, so I don't see where a couple of psi is going to make any difference one way or the other. Like Larry said, at the end of the day it is going to cup anyway. I opt for the better ride (36-38 psi) but only you can decide what YOU like.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good info. For now I guess I'll stick to the recommended pressures. Sure glad I found this forum. I hope to be able to help sometime instead of asking all the questions! This site is proof that Americans can hang together, tough in good times and bad.:thumbup:

·
Registered
746 Posts
The local dealer Service Manager posted on bulletin board in the Service area waiting room that the front should be at 42# and the rear 41#.
I spoke to him about it and he said that is the new recommendation from Honda.

For the past few years I have run 41# in both front and rear, I had no cupping, and only slight side scaling (that's the noise you hear on a turn)
running Stones.

Butt as some wise person said "iTs Your Ride, iTs Your choice"
Did I say That ? :agree:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have 11, 700 miles on my Wing and have babied my tires...the tire pressure was checked 1-2 times a week.

Still got great tread depth.. but the rear starting cupping bad...and yes my Wing is Howling at the moon...especially around 30-32 mph.

I am in new tire mode...my Honda tech at my dealer.....swears by the Elite 3's , of the bunch he likes the Stones second , then whatever after that.

He talks to alot of guys and gets thier input...sees how thier tires
look and milage and likes the Elites.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
1 up 41 front 41 rear
2 up 41 front 43 rear

I usually get baout 19K at least out of last 4 sets
also never cupped

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Thanks for the good info. For now I guess I'll stick to the recommended pressures. Sure glad I found this forum. I hope to be able to help sometime instead of asking all the questions! This site is proof that Americans can hang together, tough in good times and bad.:thumbup:
Good plan. Whatever you want to go with - a dozlen opinions or the builders recommendations.....at least the builder has to error on the side of safety.....

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Doug, both tires are going to cup, it's the nature of the beast. You can mitigate some cupping by paying attention to tire pressure and balance. But by the end of those tires service life they will be cupped. Some people can ignore the noise from cupped tires and the slight rumble felt in the bars with it leaned into a curve, but others can't stand it and will swap out servicable tires just for the peace and quite.
Actually Larry, I've removed many G709 front tires run with 38 pounds of pressure and with over 16,000 miles and most of them had virtually no sign of any cupping. Not that likely to happen with a Dunlop though (none of my Dunlop's ever excaped without cupping and never got over 10,000 miles).

DaleC

P.S. Here is a G709 run with 36 lbs of pressure and it has just over 27,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
USe the tire air recommendations not the bikes. Dunflops and Stones suggest a few lbs lighter than Metzlers.

With that said for the Dunflops I would say
F-38-41
R=40-43

·
Registered
800 Posts
I ran the 250's @ 38/41, changed after 16,000 miles, some life left but the rear was cupped badly and very loud. 38/41 for my newer E3's.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have been going 38/41. But I wonder if the front end is a litle less harsh at 36. I haven't noticeed any cupping. I ride by myself only...never any passengers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Front tire pressure

Read the article on tire pressure in the March '09 issue of Wing World magazine, page 48. It can't be explained any better than that!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know I have posted this before! But the Dunlop rep. at the2008 Honda Homecoming . Recommended The E3's have 38 front and 41 rear. I have been running these pressures religiously . So far no problems. I see people run a lot of different pressures in both. Everybodies riding style is different! I'll stick with what the people that manufacture and test the tire. SAY!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts