GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm a bit new to the GoldWing riding / characteristics but have been riding / racing sport bikes for years. Got the GW a few months back and have been putting some miles on her randomly. Yesterday, "she who must be obeyed" and I went for our first voyage, albeit a short one (100 miles) - we'll be going an a 1500+ miles trip starting next weekend (9-day voyage).

During the ride yesterday through the backroads, I noticed the front end washing out / feeling very light. I wasn't confident in the corner grip at all as it would slide very easily. My question is - what tire pressure is best on these (have OEM tires / suspension)? Also, what pre-load do you run and why? I tried (17 I think) and maxed out and it didn't seem to make much difference. thanks for your feedback! BWK

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Your probably going to get alot of opinions on the pressure depending on which tire you are running on the front. I am running the 709G with 38 pounds. The shop said to run 41 pounds in it but I didn't like the ride with that much pressure in it. Congrats on your Wing and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I noticed the same issue. Installed a SuperBrace, and the problem was solved. I also had progressive springs installed in the front at the same time. I suspect that the SuperBrace, or some other fork brace will solve your issue. Might want to try borrowing a bike that has one installed and see if the problem can be duplicated on that bike.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
For what it's worth I have a Stone 709 at 36 lbs. and Traxion suspension. I have never felt that but I don't tend to push it real hard.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Like duck said above...many opinions, and many based on tire. I run the G709 'stone as well and run it at 36 psi. Pushing the fat girl I have never had the front wash out except for when I have run into debris (gravel, sand) in a curve.

Hard to say about your pre-load settings because most of them were never correctly set-up at the factory. From I what I have learned, you won't do any harm running it at the full up setting (25). In fact, the bike will likely ride smoother. Here is a good read on the rear suspension. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3095398&postcount=12

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Am running Stone 709 at 36 lbs at full preload with no problems; however, I do have a fork brace.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i dont believe the ft tire is pushing,i think that the feeling of the ft tire gets somewhat lost by the time it gets to your hands,being from sport bikes your used to a better feel from the ft end,,,,,just will take time and miles for you to get used to the feel is all

the ft of a wing is very planted,,,short of dragging a hard part and lifting the ft end the only other way to slide the ft would be a dirty road!!

i have had all brand ft tires and new or worn never slid a ft unless dirty road,wet road,or dragging hard parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Info update....

Hi all- thanks for the replies... let me add a bit more info - 2010 w/ ~5K miles (bike and tires)... Dunlop D250's (OEM) running 35 psi - front / 40 rear.... other suggestions? Do I add more air if Im going to load it down for the excursion?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Hi all- thanks for the replies... let me add a bit more info - 2010 w/ ~5K miles (bike and tires)... Dunlop D250's (OEM) running 35 psi - front / 40 rear.... other suggestions? Do I add more air if Im going to load it down for the excursion?
38F, 41R would be a good place to start. I like the preload a little high for two-up, like 20. Like others have said, I think you will get used to it. The wing handles good for such a big bike. I never feel the front is going to wash out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts