GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been keenly interested in the posts regarding the best front tire for a GL 1800 trike. The choices seem agreed upon:
A. Bridgestone BT-45
B. Michelin Pilot Activ
Now my quandry:
Recently there has been a wave of posts alerting people of a vibration in the handlebars to the point of hand numbness with the Pilot Activ. I am wondering if this observation applies to individuals who have replaced their stock handlebar grips and bar end weights with the Kuryakyn Iso-Grips. I am one of those who did this for comfort on the motorcycle. My local trike shop (not my installer) says that they have replaced 80% of the Michelins because of this issue. They have recomended the BT-45. I don't want to repeat what happened to my long fender extension now that I have a trike. Suffice it to say I am waiting for a new rear section of my front fender.
Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Mike, I can only speak for the BT-45. I have one on my trike and I have no vibration at all. I have had it on all summer and no problem. One thing that is going to come up is normal rotation or reverse, mine is mounted in normal rotation. I also have stock heated grips.

Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mike, I just had a Michelin Pilot Activ installed on my trike 2 weeks ago and I've had NO problems at all.

C

·
0 Posts
Spitzer said:
Mike, I can only speak for the BT-45. I have one on my trike and I have no vibration at all. I have had it on all summer and no problem. One thing that is going to come up is normal rotation or reverse, mine is mounted in normal rotation. I also have stock heated grips.

Tom
tom said:
Mike, I just had a Michelin Pilot Activ installed on my trike 2 weeks ago and I've had NO problems at all.
Are either of you using a/the REAR tire on the front wheel?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just had a polit activ mounted up and I did notice a buzz, maybe 25 to 35 mph. It's so bad that if I don't remember it I don't notice it. I will say this, I was a heavy equipment operater, truck driver, street repair{ that was running a jackhammer} so a little buzz doesn't mean to much to me. Yes I did have it mounted in reverse rotation, can't help you with the normal rotation, this is my frist tire change on the front.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Activ rear mounted on the front in reverse rotation.

I also have the Kury Iso grips.

I did not notice the buzz (I wouldn't call it a vibration) at first. Not until I had a few thousand miles on it did it appear. It happens between about 26-33 mph. No buzz under, no buzz over. Most noticable slowing down or riding at 30mph.

I don't like it but I can live with it considering the mileage I will probably get out of this tire.

UNLESS - it gets worse.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, I have the Michelin Pilot Activ rear mounted on the front in reverse rotation.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Activ, rear, reverse mounted, 41# air. Have 10K on the Michelin, no wear that I can see and no buzz, vibs or whatever...runs like a hose....

I

·
0 Posts
George Lewis said:
I have the Michelin Pilot Activ, rear, reverse mounted, 41# air. Have 10K on the Michelin, no wear that I can see and no buzz, vibs or whatever...runs like a hose....
Ditto Georges post, except I mounted mine in normal rotation. No handlebar weights. 41 PSI, 10k + miles. Smooth as a babys buns.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Tires

I mounted two BT45s rear in backward rotation on a 1500 and a 1800 both owners said they think it is the best handling tire they have used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the pilot active rear, front size mounted revirse rotation, I have the vib at 27 to 32 mph. I was thinking it was faulty wheel bearings, I'm glad I haven't changed them yet. Russel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts