GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this web page as a writer, however I read the postings almost everyday. I have a 92 Teal 1500 CSC conversion that I will be selling along with my trailer come this Spring. I recently purchased a 2002 Yellow 1800 that will be triked in January of 07. My question for you readers out there is, "What tire do you recommend for the 1800 after I trike it?" For the 1500 I used the Michelin M50, but I'm not so sure as to what I should use for the front tire for my 1800 to get the best performance and milage.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just had a Michelin pilot activ mounted yesterday, but I would think your going to get as many answer as there are tires. It's going on a trike so go with what your happy with.

B

·
0 Posts
When I triked, they put on a Metzeler ME880. Great tire for smoothness and handling. It lasted 7000 miles.

I talked to the Michelin reps at the Honda Hoot in June. They said they do not have a "trike" tire, but for the GL1800, they recommend their Pilot Activ rear tire mounted on the front in reverse rotation direction. I had been told about this by many of the folks on this forum but hearing directly from Michelin I got one. I now have 6000 miles on it and it looks like new. I do have a slight "buzz" I can feel in the bars and hear from the plastic front fender between 26-32 mph, but it is just a buzz not a wobble or shimmy.

From all reports, I expect to get 20,000 or more miles on this tire. Unless the buzz gets worse. And even then I'll get anothe Activ since it costs less than the Metz.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I turned 10,000 on my Michelin Pilot Activ, reverse rotation last week. It still looks like new...I run 41# in front and 24# rear on my Goodrich 235R 70 15 tires...which I doubt I will ever wear out....

I

·
0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Activ. Same size as your stock tire. 130/70/18

I run normal rotation. I do not subscribe to the reverse rotation theory as it can increase the potential for hydroplaning on wet roads.

41 PSI. Works fine.

Ride safe. Enjoy that 1800.

B

·
0 Posts
IBTrike said:
I run normal rotation. I do not subscribe to the reverse rotation theory as it can increase the potential for hydroplaning on wet roads.
IBTrike,

I doubted the wisdom of the reverse rotation until I met the Michelin reps at the Hoot in June. They explained that the construction of a rear tire is for acceleration and a front for deceleration. Also they showed me that when you look at the tread pattern of the front vs. rear, you must turn the rear around (reverse) for the tread pattern to match the front.

So, it is Michelin themselves that recomend reverse rotation, not just some of the guys on the board.

If you still question this, you can call:
Michelin Consumer Relations Cycle Group
1-800-346-4098

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Motor Trike recommends reverse rotation. When you buy an upgraded front wheel, they mount the Michelin Activ reverse rotation....knowing little about tires, I did what they told me...no hydroplaning in some heavy rain in the last two weeks. It works for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just had a Michelin pilot activ mounted last Friday in reverse rotation and it still looks brand new :lol:
Runs quiet and smooth. Looking foward to thousands of great miles.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Another fan of the Michelin Pilot Activ, reverse rotation. Have about 15K on mine right now and have been through more rain lately then I care to, but all is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tire Recommendations

Thank you so much for your comments about tires, I really appreciate your frankness. It appears that the Michelin Pilot Activ is the tire of choice for most of the trikers responses. I will be ordering one soon to be sure.

Thanks again for you comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts