GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the front tire and had it changed but trying to put it back the axel rod will not go in not even with hammering.
I took it off and tried just installing the axel without the tire it went it with hammering it few time so put the tire back and tried it again but can't get it in even with hammering it. I have tried greasing and also trying to open the pinch bolt gap to widen the hole but not sure if I am causing more damage!
Every video I watched all axels go back in very easy with no hammering and am not sure what if anything I am doing wrong.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
Very strange ! Not to insult you, is your left and right side known as you sit on the bike ? Axle goes in from right to left , locking axle bolt on the left? It should go in like butter, by hand more or less. Small tapping from right side till even with fork face.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Also there’s nothing that keeps both forks exactly the same length. Try fitting the axle and when it clears the wheel try compressing the opposite fork slightly. The axle should never need more than tapping with a soft mallet. Place a Phillips screw driver through the axle and twist it as you insert through the spacers, wheel & forks.

Does the axle easily go through the wheel? there’s a spacer between the bearings that may not align. Also fit the axle without the wheel and see if the holes in both forks align without problems. Also verify the axle fits the spacers on both sides.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
NO HAMMER! DAYHM! Check the axle to make sure you have not distorted its end. If clear, check the axle (gently) for clearance into each set of wheel bearings, and then use a bright flashlight to check the passage through the bearings and wheel spacer. On the 2018+ the axle installs left to right (as viewed from saddled position) and as already said, the spacers are side specific. Unlike the previous model, the axle holes can not get out of alignment in the vertical plane; they are the legs of a wishbone and not forks. Save the hammer for putting a larger battery into the OE battery box. ;-)

prs

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
Agree with above, check if the axle is straight by now and smooth. Spacers are clean ID/OD. Roll the axle on edge of a table, the wider side off the table and check for bending or slight bowing. Everything on the front wheel shaft and parts are perfectly matched with perfect tolerances.

·
Registered
2018 DCT
98 Posts
Take a damn flashlight and look in the opposite side and see what it’s binding on. They can be a bit tricky sometimes but should never take more than a light tap with a mallet/deadblow.
Just hope that your hammering on it didn’t mess up any threads or the axle not going in will be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Also there’s nothing that keeps both forks exactly the same length. Try fitting the axle and when it clears the wheel try compressing the opposite fork slightly. The axle should never need more than tapping with a soft mallet. Place a Phillips screw driver through the axle and twist it as you insert through the spacers, wheel & forks.

Does the axle easily go through the wheel? there’s a spacer between the bearings that may not align. Also fit the axle without the wheel and see if the holes in both forks align without problems. Also verify the axle fits the spacers on both sides.
2018 and newer wings do not have fork tubes and therefore are always in perfect alignment from side to side.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
There is a spacer in the center of the wheel between the wheel bearings in the front wheel...sometimes that spacer in the front wheel slides down and doesn't align with the wheel bearings...the axle won't side thru unless spacer and the wheel bearings line up...while holding the front wheel in place you stick your finger on the other side of the wheel and push/align the spacer as you're pushing the axle in the wheel...the axle will slide in easily....there should be no hammering going on.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
There is a spacer in the center of the wheel between the wheel bearings in the front wheel...sometimes that spacer in the front wheel slides down and doesn't align with the wheel bearings...the axle won't side thru unless spacer and the wheel bearings line up...while holding the front wheel in place you stick your finger on the other side of the wheel and push/align the spacer as you're pushing the axle in the wheel...the axle will slide in easily....there should be no hammering going on.
Roadie; are ya sure that can happen? I have not pulled the wheel bearings on the new model, yet; but usually the middle spacer is of such outer diameter as to fit the wheel bore. Thus, getting it aligned with the inner bearing races is assured.

prs

Reactions: Red Ron

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
Roadie; are ya sure that can happen? I have not pulled the wheel bearings on the new model, yet; but usually the middle spacer is of such outer diameter as to fit the wheel bore. Thus, getting it aligned with the inner bearing races is assured.

prs
I don't remember with this 2018 as I had no problems with installing the front wheel...it's just in the past with other wheels that spacer in the middle of the wheel between the wheel bearings was not tight and would move around just a bit...maybe I'm thinking of my Bushtec wheels..but in any case, it's a simple thing to look inside of the wheel to make sure that spacer lines up with the wheel bearings...I really can't think of anything else that would stop the axle from sliding in the wheel.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
I don't remember with this 2018 as I had no problems with installing the front wheel...it's just in the past with other wheels that spacer in the middle of the wheel between the wheel bearings was not tight and would move around just a bit...maybe I'm thinking of my Bushtec wheels..but in any case, it's a simple thing to look inside of the wheel to make sure that spacer lines up with the wheel bearings...I really can't think of anything else that would stop the axle from sliding in the wheel.
I honestly still thinking about his issue. For the heck of me, I can't see what will make it hammered in. Unless somehow, and it may sound crazy, the axle bent in his garage by accident. I really feel bad for the guy. It's a simply just slide in nicely.

·
Registered
2013 F6B deluxe
360 Posts
I suggest, wheel off. Run axle bolt through wheel, confirm no issues. Run axle bolt through forks, confirm no issues. I bet you are having an alignment issue, takes a twist or wiggle at times, hammer should only be used as a light tapping devise, not an 'equalizer'. Good luck. Many good videos on interweb, watch a few.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts