GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
If this were April, I would say "April Fools" joke. "Brute Force when all else fails!" WOW

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I know I am doing it right since I looked at pictures and videos plus I took it out and came out easy so not sure why it won't go in!
You don't say which videos. If you're not using Fred's vids, you're doing it wrong.

I've changed the front tire on my bike 5 times with his vids and NEVER needed anything more than my hand to push the axle back in.

Reactions: Crabballs

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
You don't say which videos. If you're not using Fred's vids, you're doing it wrong.

I've changed the front tire on my bike 5 times with his vids and NEVER needed anything more than my hand to push the axle back in.
Its a one pc fork!!! CNC cut to such a tiny tolerance between the 2 holes. Unless he was so angry at his, who knows, and kicked one side, he should have zero axle crossing resistance in between. Something is bent or oval, for some reason here.

I think I am getting angry for him too.........:p:p:censored::censored::censored:

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
Mr. MIKELAX, Do you remember, when taking the axle out, from left to right, did you have a hard time releasing it from the bores? Did you have to fight the axle to pull out? is this the first time working on the front for you?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Its a one pc fork!!! CNC cut to such a tiny tolerance between the 2 holes. Unless he was so angry at his, who knows, and kicked one side, he should have zero axle crossing resistance in between. Something is bent or oval, for some reason here.
The only possible reasons I can think of is he does NOT have the wheel holes lined up with the fork holes and/or the spacers are not lined up. That's it. There is no other reason for the axle to not easily slide in. Unless he's going at it from the left side instead of the right.

Reactions: Al P.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mr. MIKELAX, Do you remember, when taking the axle out, from left to right, did you have a hard time releasing it from the bores? Did you have to fight the axle to pull out? is this the first time working on the front for you?
Good morning
When I took it off loosened the bolt on left side and hit it so would push the axel out, now I am wondering if that expanded the axel! is that possible?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The only possible reasons I can think of is he does NOT have the wheel holes lined up with the fork holes and/or the spacers are not lined up. That's it. There is no other reason for the axle to not easily slide in. Unless he's going at it from the left side instead of the right.
I always leave the spacers in and tape it so nothing comes out or loosen up.
Taking it off I loosened the left side nut and hammered it to push the axel out now wondering if I expanded it by leaving the bolt in the and hitting it.
Now I am thinking to get a longer bolt and just bolt up to axel and tighten it to pull it?

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
Good morning
When I took it off loosened the bolt on left side and hit it so would push the axel out, now I am wondering if that expanded the axel! is that possible?
Please do as TravelingMan recommended. It will give you a very simple answer to the problem. Some use the Axle bolt and tap on it LIGHTLY with a pc of wood or rubber/plastic mallet ( few threads back in and a light tap) Then you can grab the Axle via a long bit or screwdriver and extract it. I use a metric, hard plastic, round, 2" long to push it gently out, just enough to grab it on the other side. You can use hardwood too.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts