GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
17,810 Posts
I always leave the spacers in and tape it so nothing comes out or loosen up.
Taking it off I loosened the left side nut and hammered it to push the axel out now wondering if I expanded it by leaving the bolt in the and hitting it.
Now I am thinking to get a longer bolt and just bolt up to axel and tighten it to pull it?
When I use the right bolt to tap the axle to the right, I tap with the palm of my hand. I am wondering, if you needed to use a hammer, did you loosen the 4 clamp bolts enough? It really is supposed to be a slip in fit. You can check your axle for trueness by rolling it on a smooth hard surface with the large end of the axle hanging over the edge.

prs

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
When I use the right bolt to tap the axle to the left, I tap with the palm of my hand. I am wondering, if you needed to use a hammer, did you loosen the 4 clamp bolts enough? It really is supposed to be a slip in fit. You can check your axle for trueness by rolling it on a smooth hard surface with the large end of the axle hanging over the edge.

prs
Not to give anybody here the anxiety......YOU MEANT.......left bolt to tap the axle to the right ???? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:🍷

·
Vendor
23,270 Posts
The only possible thing I can think is maybe the internal collar that fits between the wheel bearings is loose enough that it is dropping down a little when you stand the wheel up and is blocking the axle when you try to insert it. See item #13 in drawing below.

With the wheel standing up, get a flashlight and look through the axle hole in the wheel and see if the collar has moved down and is obstructing the path.

DO NOT KEEP BEATING ON IT. You'll ruin the wheel bearings, and possibly more.

White Line Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
236 Posts
Perhaps letting a professional take over the install might be advisable. Hammers have uses but this is not one of those uses.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Perhaps letting a professional take over the install might be advisable. Hammers have uses but this is not one of those uses.
Gonna be a bit difficult getting it to a shop with no front tire/wheel.

• Haha

·
Registered
240 Posts
How hard have you been hammering it? You did (hopefully) loosen the fork pinch bolts right? I apply a very light coating of hi-temp wheel bearing grease to the axle. It helps with insertion.

There’s very little tolerance between the axle, fork, and wheel. When installing the axle, I sit in front of the bike with the wheel between my legs so I can lift it up as needed with my feet. I lift up to align the axle. Often the axle will slip in from the left side (as sitting on the bike) through the wheel, but hang up on the inside of the right fork. I simply maneuver the wheel by small fractions up and down, and back and forth with my feet, knees, and left hand while applying pressure to the axle with my right hand and viola it’ll slip through. Literally, no hammering is required, just a little finesse.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
How hard have you been hammering it? You did (hopefully) loosen the fork pinch bolts right? I apply a very light coating of hi-temp wheel bearing grease to the axle. It helps with insertion.

There’s very little tolerance between the axle, fork, and wheel. When installing the axle, I sit in front of the bike with the wheel between my legs so I can lift it up as needed with my feet. I lift up to align the axle. Often the axle will slip in from the left side (as sitting on the bike) through the wheel, but hang up on the inside of the right fork. I simply maneuver the wheel by small fractions up and down, and back and forth with my feet, knees, and left hand while applying pressure to the axle with my right hand and viola it’ll slip through. Literally, no hammering is required, just a little finesse.
Might be too late for him. I have the feelings, that's what happened. Its a very gentle play and she is in. The short panic brought the hammer to the field. I hope I am wrong. he should really get the idea what was damaged by now. I hope its just getting a new Axle for 65.00 and done.

·
Registered
17,810 Posts
Not to give anybody here the anxiety......YOU MEANT.......left bolt to tap the axle to the right ???? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:🍷
I got confused and was too lazy to go out and look. Good catch. I had better edit.

prs

Reactions: PeteF1

·
Registered
17,810 Posts
Roadie mentioned the center spacer dropping down in a response way back; but I do not "think" that is possible due to the diameter of the spacer matching that of the wheel's center; would be good to know for sure.

prs

Reactions: JoeHall and Al P.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Well, HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT with change'n that front wheel????
Please don't keep us hang'n :unsure:

Ronnie
11/22/22

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
926 Posts
I took off the front tire and had it changed but trying to put it back the axel rod will not go in not even with hammering.
I took it off and tried just installing the axel without the tire it went it with hammering it few time so put the tire back and tried it again but can't get it in even with hammering it. I have tried greasing and also trying to open the pinch bolt gap to widen the hole but not sure if I am causing more damage!
Every video I watched all axels go back in very easy with no hammering and am not sure what if anything I am doing wrong.
Any ideas?
I want to wish you a great Turkey day. To be honest here, it really took me down thinking about your struggle with the Axle. I hope you are up and riding, by now. If not, day by day and you will. We all here, learn so much from each other and I thank all here for this crazy, great site. Please take it easy and enjoy the people around you and the bike.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
236 Posts
And what is he gonna use to get it on the trailer? A forklift?
C'mon, man! Dollies, jacks, and care can git 'er done! I've hauled bikes with NO wheels on them before. Gotta use your imagination.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts