GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
C'mon, man! Dollies, jacks, and care can git 'er done! I've hauled bikes with NO wheels on them before. Gotta use your imagination.
I honestly would like to watch moving around an Escalade on 2 wheels, into a trailer. BTW....Can you check if anyone is selling a house on your street? I will put an offer today :p:p:p :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 馃嵎 馃嵎 馃嵎

Registered
C'mon, man! Dollies, jacks, and care can git 'er done! I've hauled bikes with NO wheels on them before. Gotta use your imagination.
Hopefully the OP has that kind of gear to git 'er done. He's lacking care though, or else he'd never used a hammer.

• Love
Reactions: Walrus and strych9

Vendor
The only possible thing I can think is maybe the internal collar that fits between the wheel bearings is loose enough that it is dropping down a little when you stand the wheel up and is blocking the axle when you try to insert it. See item #13 in drawing below.

With the wheel standing up, get a flashlight and look through the axle hole in the wheel and see if the collar has moved down and is obstructing the path.

DO NOT KEEP BEATING ON IT. You'll ruin the wheel bearings, and possibly more.

Would like to hear back from the OP on this and see if this is the issue.

White Line Font Auto part Circle

Registered
The only possible thing I can think is maybe the internal collar that fits between the wheel bearings is loose enough that it is dropping down a little when you stand the wheel up and is blocking the axle when you try to insert it. See item #13 in drawing below.

With the wheel standing up, get a flashlight and look through the axle hole in the wheel and see if the collar has moved down and is obstructing the path.

DO NOT KEEP BEATING ON IT. You'll ruin the wheel bearings, and possibly more.

Would like to hear back from the OP on this and see if this is the issue.

View attachment 411044
That's what I'm thinking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well, HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT with change'n that front wheel????
Please don't keep us hang'n :unsure:

Ronnie
11/22/22
Nothing. Stuck!

I read all comments and am sure hammering is not the answer so I stopped. Axel looks good I tried it without the tire it will go in first but second fork will not go in without force.
Either axel is bad or the forks are not aligned!? Can't get it towed to dealer so stuck for now.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I agree but in post #7 he said it came out easy - no hammering 馃
I left it alone for now to figure it out, I have other cycles I am riding but love my Goldwing. If dealer had not asked for $160 to change the tire I would have had them do it I figured can't be that difficult and $160 is too much! Ha Ha it may cost me more now;)

Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
Al
That is very nice of you man, I appreciate that. This is one of the reasons I love this forum.
Thanks again for the offer.
Any time, brother. have you tried the axle going into the wheel first, all across? It should be smooth in/out. Have you tried ONLY the spacers? When you reset a bit, read all the great tips here, go back to the bike and you will solve it. Good luck.

Registered
Nothing. Stuck!

I read all comments and am sure hammering is not the answer so I stopped. Axel looks good I tried it without the tire it will go in first but second fork will not go in without force.
Either axel is bad or the forks are not aligned!? Can't get it towed to dealer so stuck for now.
Would you mind showing us the axle? Close-up of both ends and middle.

Registered
It is not that hard to realign the forks if they are not even. Look at the top where the fork caps are. There should be about 1/8 inch between the fork cap and the upper tree. Make sure both sides are exactly the same. If not, place a block of wood under each fork leg without the wheel attached. Loosen one side or the other fork bolts and realign that side with the other side using the axle. There are only three bolts to work with on each side. Once you get the axle to freely insert into both fork legs, then tighten the three bolts to spec. Now you should be able to reinstall the wheel without problems. You have to align the forks everytime they are rermoved for replacing seals and bushings. My bike has a 1 1/4 inch lowering kit and my forks are about 1/2 inch higher at the top bracket. I always measure both sides with my micrometer to get them even at the top. If they are not even after the wheel is installed, you will notice the bike pulling to one side or the other.

Vendor
You may have the wheel collars on the wrong sides. They have different lengths. The longer wheel collar goes on the side with ABS sensor ring. The axle butts up against the collars, and if the long one is on the wrong side, it could prevent the axle from going in fully.

There is no adjustment to the fork position on the new generation bike, as they are fixed, the post above by DillTim does not apply to your bike. But you do have to manipulate the wheel somewhat to get it lined up so that the axle goes all the way into the fork leg on the other side. If you're doing this with the brake caliper still installed, that could be part of the problem, as it may not be allowing you to move the wheel into position properly.

It would also be helpful if you could post a photo showing the exact point where the axle is getting stuck.

Finger Automotive tire Household hardware Thumb Nail

61 - 80 of 102 Posts