GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small nail in my front tire that is causeing a slow leak. It looses appox 5lbs pressure every 24hrs.
Now I am sure most people here will say replace it, I hate to do so. The tire has about 4500mi on it so it still has lots of life.
The nail is dead center of the tire, so whats best besides replaceing it, leave the nail and live with 5lbs pressure lose per day or pull the nail & plug it?:shrug:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ride with nail. No. Unsafe under virtually all circumstances.

Ride with a plug. Most will say no. Some will say that it's OK as long as you keep speeds down to get to a shop and have it replaced.

Really, a new tire is a couple hundred dollars. Crashing is more expensive and much harder to recover from. My advice would be change it, but it's your decision.

jason

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Put in RideOn, and go for a ride. When things smooth out, stop and pull the nail.
You should see some RideOn ooze(or not). Punture is sealed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:eek:4:

Best to replace tire. But....others say a plug with a patch on the inside will be as good as new.

Your life...your choice!

:shrug:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Have a reputable tire shop patch the tire from the inside. As long as the tire is structurally undamaged, this will work fine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nail

Definitely would remove the nail and plug.

As to replacement, I'd say that depends on how and where you will be riding. Close to home, under 60 mph, I might be tempted to plug the tire and get a few thousand more miles out of it.

On the other hand, if I was on my way to a 3,000 mile trip to Rockies Gold, I would have to replace it!

I have a small nail in my front tire that is causeing a slow leak. It looses appox 5lbs pressure every 24hrs.
Now I am sure most people here will say replace it, I hate to do so. The tire has about 4500mi on it so it still has lots of life.
The nail is dead center of the tire, so whats best besides replaceing it, leave the nail and live with 5lbs pressure lose per day or pull the nail & plug it?:shrug:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HMMM, forgot about patching it, I did that to the back tire when I could not get the plug I used to stop the leak.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
slime, patch, plug or replace....you know what you want, just do what you feel is best. I wear em out if at all possible:nojoke:

·
Registered
396 Posts
When someone runs over a nail, or screw, they usually have no idea when they did it. I'd bet plenty of riders have unknowingly ran over a nail and rode for miles, and miles at high speeds, through twisties etc. Never a worry till they see that nail, then oh chit, shutdown, lockout, quarantine.
The most dangerous time as far as the tire failing is at the time the nail first punches.

I, me, would just put one of those plugs in (from the outside), check it as normal, and ride as normal.

...louie

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
The poorest, least safe decision you could make is to continue with a slow leak. Slow leaks sneak up on Ya and the tire gets HOT and soft and KABLOWIE! Kablowie on the rear is bad enough, on the front, very dangerous! I have plugged a front, but it is not a good idea.

prs

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If a plug won't fix it, and it has to be removed to patch it from the inside.
If the tire has to be removed from the bike, and the tire needs to be removed from the wheel, might as well just have a new tire put back on, labor is the same either way.

Your call, it's your tire, but I surely would not ride it with the nail in it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If a plug won't fix it, and it has to be removed to patch it from the inside.
If the tire has to be removed from the bike, and the tire needs to be removed from the wheel, might as well just have a new tire put back on, labor is the same either way.

Your call, it's your tire, but I surely would not ride it with the nail in it.
I do my own tire changing repairs, Etc so there is no labor carge involved. Plus the closest dealer is about 50miles away.
I pulled the nail and pluged it for now, I will be keeping a close eye on it for a while
I wonder if this Ride On stuff can be used with TPMS, I read somwhere that slime should not be used with it.
Any one know for sure?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do my own tire changing repairs, Etc so there is no labor carge involved. Plus the closest dealer is about 50miles away.
I pulled the nail and pluged it for now, I will be keeping a close eye on it for a while
I wonder if this Ride On stuff can be used with TPMS, I read somwhere that slime should not be used with it.
Any one know for sure?
I got the Ride-On from the Honda dealer and they said it will not harm the TPMS, I put it in my 10 wing and had no prob.:thumbup:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I got the Ride-On from the Honda dealer and they said it will not harm the TPMS, I put it in my 10 wing and had no prob.:thumbup:
How can you determine your TPMS is not being disabled by the Ride-On product?

·
Registered
91 Posts
How can you determine your TPMS is not being disabled by the Ride-On product?
The lights on the dash still work the way that they are suppost to. Let some air out and light comes on, air tire back to pressure and they go out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nothing good can come from leaving that nail in there.

Thanks to the poster (14) who attached the video clip for the Ride On product.
The clip showed the initial tire pressure of about 34 psi and a ending pressure
after all that drilling / punctures at 20 PSI, Impressive.

Can this pressure be brought back up to normal and will it stay there ?
or is this a short term fix?
Where can you buy this stuff ?
Will it work on Tubed tires ?

TIA
RJ

FWITW;

After I wrote the above I found the following on their web site;

The Ride-On Tire Protection System (Ride-On TPS) is a revolutionary line of tire sealants that prevent flat tires, seal leaks and punctures, balance tire/wheel assemblies for the life of the tire, extend tire life and reduce downtime associated with tire failures. Ride-On Tire Protection System (TPS) tire sealants will eliminate 85-95% of your flat tires in tubless tires. Ride-On tire sealants' efficiency in tube tires is reduced to 55-65% since puncturing objects often tear the tube. Ride-On TPS tire sealants are great for cars, light trucks, SUVs, RVs, motorcycles, scooters, ATVs, bicycles, skid steers, lawn mowers, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts