GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I think it's time to replace my G709 on the front (old style) with severe cupping after 6,900 miles. Just had the dealership replace the rear G704 and I want new rubber on both contacts with the asphalt for my planned 7000 + mile NW tour planned for this summer.

Questions for the more knowledgeable members of this wonderful board:

What type of mileage can I expect out of the new Bridgestone tires?

Just normal “vertical” riding 95% of the time. But of course the other 5% “riding it like I stole it”, just to piss off my brother-in-law and his 40K Harley Ultra Classic.
:twisted:
Pressure to run in both – with SO almost all the time?

Thinking about purchasing the front tire from Hal and changing myself. Anyone done this – and how hard was it with just min tools. After reading about how tough the rear tire was to replace - I just let the dealer do it.

The yellow dot on the tire sidewall – I assume this is the lightest part of the tire? I see the new G704 rear tire yellow dot lines up with the valve stem, is this correct?

Sorry so many questions - but I don't want to start something I can't complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
BigDaddy,

I replaced my OEM 'Stones with the new ones from HDL just before my Sturgis trip last summer. I run 41/41 all the time and have no significant wear patterns yet. (I had slight cupping on the OEM @ about 11,000 miles but I assumed that was 'normal' based on the reports of others here)

I looked into doing the change myself, but ended up just removing and taking them to my local Yamaha dealer. They only wanted $17 each for mounting and balancing, so I went with them. The dealer that I bought my two bikes from wanted $45 each if I didn't buy the tires from them...

When and where are you coming to the NW? If you make it to Western Washington, I'm sure that we could arrange a quick get-together to show you some of our better roads...

Good luck,
 

·
Young Buck
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Ok - I think it's time to replace my G709 on the front (old style) with severe cupping after 6,900 miles.
The G709 is the new style front. The G707 is the old...

I am going to see about 12,000 - 13,000 miles out of the new G709. I only saw about 8,000 miles on the original front Bridgestone. I run 38 front and 40 rear with the Bridgestones.

My local shop changes tires out for $15 a piece, carry in. So I can't comment about changing a front tire, because for $15... I'm not even going to consider doing it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Have you priced tires at Midway Cycle just off Hwy 72 in Madison.I just got a new front Bridgestone G709 from them,they mounted it out the door price was $149.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
I have a set of Dunlaps on my old 1500 and put 18,000 on them last season. I run 40psi on both and all the riding was one up. I agree with Jon, but wanted to add on thing. I have a fork brace and after all those miles there is no cupping. You might check into that. You can easily add a few thousand miles on your new front tire.

Ride safe...Dick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
DUNLOP TIRES

I SLAPPED A NEW SET OF DUNLOP 250S ON MY WING.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE AFTER BEING USED TO THAT CUPPED FRONT

BRIDGESTONE. ON THE DUNLOPS, RUN 38 UP FRONT AND 40 OUTBACK

AND REAR SUSPENSION 15. THERE IS NO REASON YOU CAN'T HANG

WITH MOST OF THE SPORT BIKES.
 

·
Young Buck
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
Re: DUNLOP TIRES

WINGNUT1800 said:
THERE IS NO REASON YOU CAN'T HANG

WITH MOST OF THE SPORT BIKES.
As long as the pavement is dry. :22yikes: New tire(s) always feel better than the old one(s).

Oh, yeah. STOP SHOUTING... Please check your CAPS LOCK, it appears to be on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
I run 41/41 air pressure and I get between 12K & 15K out of the stones and/or the Lops.

Cupping is just part of my bikes makeup. Does not bother me at all.

Bulldog
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top