GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock front tire size for my 2005 Wing is 130/70-R18 and the questions are (ALL related to FRONT TIRE ONLY with Centramatic wheel balancer used):

1. What is the next largest size I can go to without any problems and using OEM wheel.

2. As a general question... which tire manufacturer seems to give the best mileage?

3. Based on tire size you are using... what pressure are you using to maximize tire life?

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
1. Not usre such is possile while keeping OE fenders and brackets, its really tight in there. Maybe a bias tire selection is available a tiny bit bigger, maybe?
2. Dunslip gives the longest life in my experience, but at front tire all I have used have been decent in terms of life; the downside is that Dunflops lack grip.
3. OE tires front and rear or 70 rear; I use 41/42 per my gague. Your gague may vary. My fronts wear very evenly, my rears get some scalloping with age, not bad with Avons or B'stones.

The stock front tire size for my 2005 Wing is 130/70-R18 and the questions are (ALL related to FRONT TIRE ONLY with Centramatic wheel balancer used):

1. What is the next largest size I can go to without any problems and using OEM wheel.

2. As a general question... which tire manufacturer seems to give the best mileage?

3. Based on tire size you are using... what pressure are you using to maximize tire life?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
front tires

I run a Bridgestone BT-45 in stock size and got over 19K on the last one with 38 lb for air pressure.
The make an H and a V speed rating. Can't remember which is which right now, but the higher speed one is slightly bigger and will NOT work. A friend ordered the wrong one by mistake and it rubbed his front fender at 100 mph and he smelled smoke with rubber gathered at the fender edge. Stay with the stock size.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just out of my own curiosity, why do you want to go to a larger front tire?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Tight fit for sure.

If you just want more mileage, you have several options: Bridgestone 701, a bias-ply tire that is replacement for the 1500 wing and a couple of rear-bias-ply tires from smaller bikes but still in the 130-70-18 size.

The stock size is probably the optimum size for the bike.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I put a new BT45 on just prior to my Alaska trip (7,000 miles) and it still looks almost new. I expect to get really good miles out of it. I bought a rear BT45 in the front tire size and put it on the front. Works great!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I get 15-17k out of a stone 709 front running 40psi. I love the way my bike handles which is why I bought a GL in the first place. I will not change a thing on it.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
While your at it try some bias ply tires on your car

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Our bike had a 140/70/18 on the front when we bought it it was me880 metzler no rubbing issue.I changed it to a 130/70/18 bt45.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts