GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just bought a 2012 wing with 27K miles on it. Just before I bought it the previous owner fixed oil leaks in one of the front suspension shock absorbers.
since I took the bike and the TPMS always on but occasionally gets off while having a long ride. And if I released the handlebar, there are huge vibrations in the front wheel and in turns on highly speed I feel like the front wheel is not properly tightened.
Any idea from where should I start checking or anyone with similar experience ?!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We would need more details of what is meant by "fixed oil leaks in one of the front suspension shock absorbers."

There is a sequence of properly installing the front wheel. A search on this forum will show it if you do not have a service manual.

Check tire air pressures. The TPMS light should not be on. When I bought my 2015, the light was on when the tires were cold. The previous owner said that he knew it but it went out after a few miles (warmed up). On the test ride it had a slight wobble. I bumped the pressure up to 40psig and that cured the wobble. The front tire had 2000 miles on it at that time but still gave a little vibration now and then. Finally changed both tires out.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. I meant by fixing one of the front Shock absorbers oil leaks that it was removed for changing seals kit and was again assembled. The reason I stated this fact because I heard about the sequence for assembling the shock absorbers again.
Regarding the TPMS I adjust the tires pressure as follows and correct me if I am wrong:
Front: 36
Back: 41
I am a bet worried about the vibration especially we drive here in Egypt in open roads on average speed of 160 KM/H.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Definitely check tire pressures, and bump them up just a bit and report back.

The previous owner may have knocked a weight off, so it wouldn't hurt to have them balanced, or put beads in them.

Check the date codes on the tires - are they old tires even if they only have a few miles on them?

Re-install the front axle, bouncing the bike several times, per the service manual.

If one fork was removed, check that the forks are installed properly, and are the same length.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Letting go with one hand, usually at a certain speed and having the bars shake back and forth is usually described as a wobble. Honda has said that you should never let go and therefore a wobble is not a warranty issue. Wobbles have been corrected by new tires, tightening or replacing fork stem bearings and sometimes swing arm bearings. As I noted, on my bike, the low tire pressure seemed to be the issue but running low for a short time affected the tire permanently. Many others have discovered that fork stem bearings are not properly torqued.

Vibrations usually don't change just by letting go with one hand.

I prefer a higher front tire pressure. For me it improves tire life (mileage) and reduces vibration. Again, I'm at 40 cold in the front.

Even if there is only leakage showing in one fork, I always replace fork seals on both sides and usually replace the bushings as well.

While I have not done it, many folks here will disable the anti-dive system. The belief is that if you hit a hole or sharp bump while under hard braking, it will cause an over pressure inside the forks and damage the seals. This in and of itself shouldn't effect a vibration or wobble.

A fork brace can help with wobble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the advice I will try all suggestions and will surely let you know 😘

·
Registered
852 Posts
With no hands my 2012 wobbles at low speed, but when I'm running at 70 there's no wobble.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here's a link for wheel install:

·
Vendor
16,814 Posts
Thanks Andy a lot for your help
Could your issue be called handle-bar shimmy ??? A shimmy meaning that the bars want to rotate back and forth from left to right ??? Are you saying that you feel this when removing one hand or both ???

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Your issue is a well known issue with GL1800’s. The answer is to replace the cheap Honda brand steering head bearings with “All-Balls” brand roller bearings properly torqued. Some will try to fix the issue (temporarily) with the cheaper Honda ball bearings, but the long term fix most of us have found is the better roller bearings....

·
Vendor
16,814 Posts
Your issue is a well known issue with GL1800’s. The answer is to replace the cheap Honda brand steering head bearings with “All-Balls” brand roller bearings properly torqued. Some will try to fix the issue (temporarily) with the cheaper Honda ball bearings, but the long term fix most of us have found is the better roller bearings....
I agree about installing All-Balls with a tapered race and metal from China; however, their is nothing cheap about OEM Honda bearings where they use a high quality metal and a very expensive ground race to fit a ball bearing. The grinding process to make those races is far more costly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts