GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

Just put some new Avons on and really like them. I notice an ever so slight wobble in the front tire as I braking and approaching a stop. This happens when I am within 10 ft of making a full stop and the speed is approaching 0 MPH

I don't notice it as I am accelerating away from a stop. There is ZERO front tire vibration or wobble during any riding conditions from 2 MPH - 80 MPH... NONE, NOTTA, ZIP! only those last few feet approaching a stop.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Stop harder, burn the glaze off the rotors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st place to look is your front brake rotors, you may have a slight warp there or you could even have some type of debris on on rotor, road tar or something like that.

I suppose it could be a warped disc brake rotor, but you'd think it would be noticeable over a much larger speed range. I did replace the left front pads, perhaps they are not fully conforming to the rotor yet (400 miles)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
If this is your first set of Avon Cobras, what you are experiencing is a vibration from the agressive deep tred design you feel as you come to a stop. It is not smooth like other tires. I experienced the same thing, nothing to worry about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is your first set of Avon Cobras, what you are experiencing is a vibration from the agressive deep tred design you feel as you come to a stop. It is not smooth like other tires. I experienced the same thing, nothing to worry about.
Also a possibility... I measured these as having 1/32" deeper tread than new Dunlop E3s would have

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I notice an ever so slight wobble in the front tire as I braking and approaching a stop.
Is it actually a wobble? By that I mean are you holding the handlebars perfectly still while this wobble is happening, or are you "see-sawing" the bars back and forth a bit to keep the bike balanced when almost stopped?

If this is happening with the bars perfectly still, then it might just be the result of the thick tread and/or tread pattern on the specific tire. (I had an old Dunlop Qualifier on the front of my old GL1200 that did that, but it was due to the aggressive longitudinal tread pattern on the tire.)

If this is just the normal see-sawing of the bars that comes from just keeping the bike balanced at near stop speeds, then I'd say it's not due to the tire and is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hello All:

Just put some new Avons on and really like them. I notice an ever so slight wobble in the front tire as I braking and approaching a stop. This happens when I am within 10 ft of making a full stop and the speed is approaching 0 MPH

I don't notice it as I am accelerating away from a stop. There is ZERO front tire vibration or wobble during any riding conditions from 2 MPH - 80 MPH... NONE, NOTTA, ZIP! only those last few feet approaching a stop.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks
I’ve heard a few others say this also???

Most say theirs do not do it???

I’m on my 3rd set and have never had this happen to me (yet)...

If it a tire or brake I hope you find and fix what ever is going on...

Good luck...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it actually a wobble? By that I mean are you holding the handlebars perfectly still while this wobble is happening, or are you "see-sawing" the bars back and forth a bit to keep the bike balanced when almost stopped?

If this is happening with the bars perfectly still, then it might just be the result of the thick tread and/or tread pattern on the specific tire. (I had an old Dunlop Qualifier on the front of my old GL1200 that did that, but it was due to the aggressive longitudinal tread pattern on the tire.)

If this is just the normal see-sawing of the bars that comes from just keeping the bike balanced at near stop speeds, then I'd say it's not due to the tire and is nothing to worry about.

Wobble is probably too strong of a word to describe this sensation. It feels like a very slight side to side vibration. Its more noticeable the slower I approach a stop. The bars definitely are not doing any sort of tank slapping side to side motion. It does not feel serious and does not happen under other riding conditions

This is my first set of Cobras, so perhaps I'm feeling the fact that the tread depth is maybe more than many new tires and the Avon tire compound might be a bit softer/grippy.

I'm sort of leaning towards the tire explanation

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Check the REAR TIRE!!!!!! for a very small "lump/deformation"!!!!! Just to be careful!!! the wing is very hard on tires!!! She is a little aaaahem "curvy" (hefty!!! there I said IT!!!) & the weight really hurts tires!!! ( kinda like ME!!! I am FAT & MY FEET HURT!!!)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here are some suggestions....

1) Could be the feel of a new tire and new type of tire. Get them scuffed up and see if it continues.

2) Are you keeping your eyes on the horizon until the bike is stopped? Maybe you're moving your head and with the new tires, you're noticing more movement.

3) If it only happens when you're two-up, tell your passenger to look over your left shoulder when coming to a stop.

4) Could be your new brake pads dragging.

·
Registered
696 Posts
wobble

i use these tires and what you are feeling is possable not the tire try lossen up axle bolt and axle clamp and bounce front end up and down to center the wheel in the forks and this will go away . hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i use these tires and what you are feeling is possable not the tire try lossen up axle bolt and axle clamp and bounce front end up and down to center the wheel in the forks and this will go away . hope this helps
Do I loosen both sides of the fork pinch bolts AND the axle bolt?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts