GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good front tire to go with the Kumho (KU31)RF on the 2008 GL1800.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I think you will find that the G 709 Stone is the tire of choice for the front like the Kuhmo is the most popular for the rear!:thumbup: I liked the Avon Cobra myself, but have never tried the 709. That will be my next experiment!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Yep, G709 is a good choice IMO. They might not last me too long, but I beat the heck out of them while they do last and they take every bit of that punishment. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Yep, G709 is a good choice IMO. They might not last me too long, but I beat the heck out of them while they do last and they take every bit of that punishment. Good luck.
:thumbup::agree:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I like to be bias!:lol:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
G709 is the way to go. I tried the BT 45 and it was ok, but I was never as happy with it as the 709. And a front tire is sort of important, no?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I would have said the 709 too but mine at 9300 miles is howling like a E-3 now when I start to lean it over,anyone else experience the same thing?

G

·
I have run the BT45s for several years now and have stuck with them just because they work.
I run 34-36psi normally so they ride much softer than the radials and because it's a bias ply I don't worry about overheating if it is run low on air.
It does have a rather aggressive tread pattern which is good for rain etc but due to this you may get some howl and vibration in the handlebars.
Normal life has been 24-26k which I deem as pretty good.

I believe just the matter of running lower pressures allows for a much smoother feel and ride.

In my book radials are for sportbikes and bias are for tour bikes. Most motorcycles still run bias for good reason.
Plus in the long run they are cheaper and last longer so it's a multi-win. Of course the people who believe motorcycles are built for tires would disagree as according to them all HD riders get killed because they all run bias tires.

Other than that I feel brands names are not the only thing to consider. Every brand has it's good tires and bad. This is why you see all the mixed reports on tires. I have seen posts on certain tires being slippery when wet however running over the painted center line in the rain will produce a slip on all tires so I ignore these posts for that reason. Grip is just a guess and hard to actually document without test track controlled testing.

Best advise is try one of the popular tires like the BT, 709 or whatever and if it works well - stick with it. Some users seem to want to try all tires and end up in a mire of confusion and never happy.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I would have said the 709 too but mine at 9300 miles is howling like a E-3 now when I start to lean it over,anyone else experience the same thing?
I've run A E3 up front and it was quiet right up to the wear bars.I switched to the 709 with trying a few bias/plies in between and went back to the 709 because it's the best tire for how I ride (no funeral flag on my ass).

Now a back E3 will sing like a cat on a fence.But not the front!.

If I couldn't get a 709.I'd drop on a E3 in a heart beat.:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts