GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front tire and would like to get one of the newer ones that are being billed as a true trike front tire. I have the Battlax on there now and has been ok but want something different now. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Lots of good reports on the Bridgestone 709. YMMV

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have the pilot active on my front installed backwards.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I need to replace my front tire and would like to get one of the newer ones that are being billed as a true trike front tire. I have the Battlax on there now and has been ok but want something different now. What do you guys suggest? Thanks
I'm sure this is the tire you speak of ( https://www.denniskirk.com/avon/fro...kwall-tire-90000020646.p544572.prd/544572.sku ) There are many sources now but I've had good success with Dennis Kirk tires so that is where I've bought the two AVON Cobra Trike tires I've run so far. The key is to make sure you get this part number. Also it says TRIKE right on the tire.

My experience is better handling and softer ride.

Reactions: Red Wing One

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback, would love to see some replies with some history on the tires, how it wears, holds up and does in the rain. I will have to refer back to my log to see how many miles I got on this one for reference. Thanks again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, would love to see some replies with some history on the tires, how it wears, holds up and does in the rain. I will have to refer back to my log to see how many miles I got on this one for reference. Thanks again.
Like all tires, it depends on many variables. Road, riding style, and load are the big three. I'm heard of a little as 11K and as much as 21K for mileage. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it and out here in west Texas we have lots of rainless days so that is usually not a problem for riding dry. What few times I've gotten caught on wet streets the tire was just fine.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand there are many factors to tire wear, I thought the battlax did ok and I could go back to it but with that being said I know there are tires now that are marketed as trike specific and was just looking for feedback on those tires and if you were happy with your purchase. I have ran Bridgestones and E3's also, actually the E3's held up well but if the trike tire wears better I would like to give them a try, was kind of hoping for a consensus to get started and go from there, if not I'll just pick one and see what happens.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is there more than one trike specific radial tire being made now? I only know of the AVON Cobra Trike tire.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've got 146k miles on my trike. I've used Michelin Pilot Activ, Bridgestone Battlax 45, and the Avon Cobra Trike front tires. While the Activ and 45 got better mileage (all between 20-25k) I like the ride of the Cobra the best. I have just installed my third Cobra over the winter and have gotten between 15-17k on the previous two.(could have gotten 20k on the last one, but decided to go new after having the front forks rebuilt) For my money, the Cobra is the best I have used. No tingling/humming feel, better in the rain, than the Activ & Battlax45. jmo

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got 146k miles on my trike. I've used Michelin Pilot Activ, Bridgestone Battlax 45, and the Avon Cobra Trike front tires. While the Activ and 45 got better mileage (all between 20-25k) I like the ride of the Cobra the best. I have just installed my third Cobra over the winter and have gotten between 15-17k on the previous two.(could have gotten 20k on the last one, but decided to go new after having the front forks rebuilt) For my money, the Cobra is the best I have used. No tingling/humming feel, better in the rain, than the Activ & Battlax45. jmo
Thank you

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm running the Cobra trike tire now probably 8K miles, or more, before that it was a Bridgestone BT45. I cannot tell difference in running the two tires, so I will probably return to the BT45 when it's time, considering the price in each of the tires, it's a no brainer. My thing with the Cobra, I've had the very slow leak since I had the tire installed and I can't cure it. I've done it all, reinstall, replaced the valve stem, you name it, that tire has cost me, so I'm not doing that again. I have not read of that happening to any other Cobra tire, so maybe I am just the unlucky one. Not knocking the tire, just my experience, many love the tire and that's all good.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm on my second Cobra tire and am no more satisfied than I was with the first. I'm a slow learner. the next front tire-for me at least-will be anything but a Cobra. Just my opinion of course. The tire is wildly popular. But it's not for me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have never liked Bridgestone tires, but ran several BT45 on the front of trikes. Pleased with them. The price was good, and mileage was around 25,000 except when a road hazard made me decide to remove them early. After hearing good reports on the Dunlop E4, tried one of them. Was happy with the tire but the price is high and only got 10,000 miles. I have run several Avon Cobra trike tires. I like them fine, but unlike some others, I don’t see any noticeable difference in the ride or the handling over the BT45. The price is around $50 higher than the BT45 and I can’t get more than 17,000 miles out of them which is about 8,000 miles less than the BT45.
My new 17 was already tricked when I bought it and had whichever Bridgestone Honda had on it. 5,800 miles and it was done for.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have never liked Bridgestone tires, but ran several BT45 on the front of trikes. Pleased with them. The price was good, and mileage was around 25,000 except when a road hazard made me decide to remove them early. After hearing good reports on the Dunlop E4, tried one of them. Was happy with the tire but the price is high and only got 10,000 miles. I have run several Avon Cobra trike tires. I like them fine, but unlike some others, I don’t see any noticeable difference in the ride or the handling over the BT45. The price is around $50 higher than the BT45 and I can’t get more than 17,000 miles out of them which is about 8,000 miles less than the BT45.
My new 17 was already tricked when I bought it and had whichever Bridgestone Honda had on it. 5,800 miles and it was done for.
What size is the BT45 and do you install it backwards?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Every once in a while someone needs to jump on these tire threads and point out where and why the whole idea of reverse mounting came about. One of the tire manufactures (don't recall for sure which one) recommended the reverse rotation because we are discussing running a tire designed to withstand the stress applied when a sport bike rider gets on the throttle really fast. The tire is designed to take that punishment so when we mount it in normal forward rotation on the GL1800 then get out there and get a big hand full of front brake the stress on the bias plies is opposite to the intended. Possible tire failure resulting in an accident or death may occur. End of History lesson.

Here is my take on the reverse rotation.. I did it one time with a BT45 just to see how it acted.. Did not detect any difference in performance or longevity. Why did I stop you ask.. Because I use both front and rear brakes. Yes I know the OEM system is linked to apply 70/30 braking and in many situations those numbers are applicable (but not always).

Sometimes riders grab the front brake handle and forget about the rear. Other riders are intimidated by the front brake power so play chicken with only the back peddle. Both choices are ignoring the combined use benefit. Many trike conversions have de-linked the brakes which makes getting into conscious combined front and rear brake use even more important.

In a nut shell, if the BT45 is going to get exposed to lots of front break stress then I'd recommend reverse rotation as that tire company suggested. If lesser amounts of front brake are used then maybe it is fine to use normal rotation.

Reactions: Red Wing One

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Every once in a while someone needs to jump on these tire threads and point out where and why the whole idea of reverse mounting came about. One of the tire manufactures (don't recall for sure which one) recommended the reverse rotation because we are discussing running a tire designed to withstand the stress applied when a sport bike rider gets on the throttle really fast. The tire is designed to take that punishment so when we mount it in normal forward rotation on the GL1800 then get out there and get a big hand full of front brake the stress on the bias plies is opposite to the intended. Possible tire failure resulting in an accident or death may occur. End of History lesson.
I live near the Michelin plant and a friend spent many years in several higher echelon positions with them. One of the first things that he was taught during his training was that the tire that many use on the front of a trike should never be reversed for the same reasons that many use as the reason they should be reversed. I have heard rumors that they later reversed their opinion on this, but so much BS floating around the internet that one never knows what is fake and what is truth. Anyway, he had a small trike operation and he would not mount one in reverse rotation since his training led him to believe it was very unsafe. However, it seems that many do it either way without any problems so as you stated I’m not sure that it matters. May well be a liability issue only. I always ran mine normal rotation and all was well. Had one incident where the front wheel was locked and slid 20-30 feet. Only issue was a flat spot on the tire until it had time to wear off.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Is there more than one trike specific radial tire being made now? I only know of the AVON Cobra Trike tire.
The Avon AV 71 Cobra Trike has been replaced by the Avon AV 91 Cobra Crome Trike. There are still a few AV 71 available but as far as I know, nothing else is available in radial specifically for a trike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts