GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a GOOD LONG LASTING front tire? I would like to get a car tire, but can't. Seems the rubber people seem to think that "trikers" have more money that anyone. I've tried the first gen Cobra trike tie with little improved mileage. I have the "New and Improved" Cobra to put on before a 5000 mile trek. Does any one make a larger diameter wheel that will accept a car tire?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 in stock front tire size. YMMV

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have the Pilot Active and in 65K I've never gotten less than 20K and have never worn one out because of changing one with a few K left on it prior to a long trip. It does get a bit "lumpy" but not enough to bother the handling.

Reactions: paid4c4 and 05nwl

·
Registered
702 Posts
--

On my RoadStar 1600 I have a 16" wheel. I run a rear, slightly larger Michelin Commander II on the front and have 27,000 miles on it now. It has 4/32nds tread left so I should get another 9,000 miles on it to the wear bar. I run it with 40#.

--

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the Pilot Active and in 65K I've never gotten less than 20K and have never worn one out because of changing one with a few K left on it prior to a long trip. It does get a bit "lumpy" but not enough to bother the handling.
I have a 2012 GL1800 CSC Trike. It has 7,200 miles and the front tire is ready to replace. After researching by reading and asking ChapterG members I think I have figured out what I'm going to do. I've gotten a lot of good feedback from trike owners who use the Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18. This tire is usually used as a rear trike tire. However the tire has found a following of trikers who run them on the front. Some reverse them some don't. One of our club members has 24K miles on the current tire which is ready for replacement. Research has shown http://bikebandit.com has the best price at $112.00 shipped. If someone has a cheaper source please respond. I'll let you know how the tire turns out.
Bill

·
Registered
872 Posts
Have you checked American Motorcycle Tires? AMT.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bidrgestone BT45 (rear) wears will give you so many miles you think you're never gonna wear it out. Dennis Kirk is a good price at $113 including the automatic $5 tire charge and shipping. It has the best tread I know on a m/c tire, 9/32 of an inch. I have one for install to replace my worn out Cobra for a week of riding up on the Blue Ridge. Further information, I use Ride On to balance and protect the tire from small punctures, just my choice, I'm not selling the stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts