GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone esle has had thier front tires cup. I first noticed q slight shimmy around 5000 miles @ 40+/- MPH. The bike is a Black '02 w/ Bridgstone tires ,purchased new in May of '03. It now has 6400+/- miles on it. Friday I went for a ride after getting up speed I left off the throttle , as I slowed down I had a bad shake in the front end ( but only at a certian speed). I pulled over about a mile down the road to inspect the front end.
Upon running my hand over the tire I could feel the ridge in the tread, it is not even across,similar to an older 4x4 only not as pronounced. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for his opinion yet , thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. :? :roll: Ken

·
Registered
979 Posts
Strider5 said:
Just wondering if anyone esle has had thier front tires cup. I first noticed q slight shimmy around 5000 miles @ 40+/- MPH. The bike is a Black '02 w/ Bridgstone tires ,purchased new in May of '03. It now has 6400+/- miles on it. Friday I went for a ride after getting up speed I left off the throttle , as I slowed down I had a bad shake in the front end ( but only at a certian speed). I pulled over about a mile down the road to inspect the front end.
Upon running my hand over the tire I could feel the ridge in the tread, it is not even across,similar to an older 4x4 only not as pronounced. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for his opinion yet , thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. :? :roll: Ken
:) Frt tire cupping is normal on this bike, My tires lasted 10.000 miles,you might want to increase the tire preasure a little to extend the life and prolong the cupping, I run 42psi frt 43psi rear cold, I have the bridgestones as well and at 10.000 miles they have a lot of tread left but the cupping is getting bad on the frt. Its new tires for me this winter as riding season is over for me here in Illinois. :cry:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Front tire "cupping" has nothing to do with deceleration wobble. All "big" bikes have this wobble to some degree. If it is very severe you may want to get your steering head torqued. I have an '02 and the original Bridgestones cupped quite early. I then went with the Dunlops and they seem to be lasting longer. I have the deceleration wobble with brand new tires but it is not severe enough to bother me.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tire cupping

My '03 wing came with Dunlops. The front tires cupped pretty bad by 12,000 miles. I replaced the tires with Metz ME880s and had the steering head bearings torqued. With over 10,000 miles, they still look pretty good with very little cupping. We ride two up most of the time. Air pressure is 39 psi front and 40 psi back. The ME880s are a better tire all around in this biker's opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cupping

I had to replace my front OEM Bridgestone tire at 7,400 because of cupping. Unfortunately, I was not paying real close attention to my tire pressure and was running under 40PSI. I got a wobble and decided to do something about it. 1st) I put on a new Bridgestone with the new tread pattern and things improved. 2nd) I had the steering head bearings adjusted (My service tech said they really needed it!) and the wobble went away. 3rd) Although this is not really necessary, I purchased and installed a SuperBrace front fork brace.

Now, I pay real close attention to the air pressure front & rear and things are great. I like knowing the fork brace is there and it looks great. Thanks to HDL!

Cory
02 Pearl Orange

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tire Cupping

The December issue of Wing World has an good article "T-Clock Talk" by Howard Halasz that describes why the front tire cups. With the treads on the tires perpendicular (cross ways) to line of travel, the treads wear when the brakes are applied.

"Imagine a pencil eraser being held vertically and dragged across a piece of sandpaper. The eraser is flexible, and it will bend back to expose its leading edge to the sandpaper. The same thing happens to the tread blocks on your front tire every time you use your front brakes. It's normal" :lol:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My original stones were humming around curves at around 8000 miles. I asked the SM about the noise, and they checked the tires. Said I was running too low of pressure. Jacked the pressure up to 41/41, and now have 12,800, and am starting to get a slight wobble. Will change the tires out this winter, so as to be ready for the next riding season. Got the Lops from Hal, and will try them. Had them on both 86/87 wings, and had good luck with them on those bikes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Front tire cupping

I think we've all been there. Original Stones on my '02 went 9000 miles and had to be replaced...worn out and cupped. I got Metzelers from from Hal and love 'em. Mine shook so bad at 45 with the Stones that I had to get a firm grip on those bars or risk losing it. However, with the Metzelers, I can let go off the grips all the way down to stopping speed with only a very minor vibration around 40mph.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Black 2002 purchased May 2003, that is me! :shock:
I am over 10,500, and the wobbles are getting worse. I am still
going to ride them untill the tread wear reaches the change point.
I started putting 41psi in them late in the game. That was a tip I
picked up on this board.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Front end wobble on a $17,000 motorcycle is absurd! Honda really needs to fix this problem. My 1500 did not wobble, and it was 12% heavier. Mine started at 2500 miles. Installed SuperBrace. Got worse at 5200 miles. Honda refused to do anything. I replaced the original set of Bridgestones with Dunlops. The wobble returned after 1000 miles. Installed Progressive springs (front and rear), changed the fork oil, and installed a new Dunlop tire. Handling was absolutely superb on the trip to the Blue Ridge. The wobble rertuned, although not near as bad. But after the 600 mile trip, the front tire was already starting to cup. I then replaced the head bearings with a kit from Allballs. Wow, the handling of the bike is fantastic. The bike will now go all the way to a stop condition without any wobble. It only took $500 of my money to cure Honda's design error. I love the bike, but I am angry at Honda.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 1500 also wobbled. New tires, no wobble. After about 7000 the bike started wobbling until the tires were replaced, then the wobble went away again.

My 1800 wobbles depending on the tire. It does not seem to change as the miles add up.

1 Bridgestone, no wobble
2 Dunlop, wobble
3 Dunlop, NO wobble
4 Dunlop, slight wobble

I always replace the front and rear together.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My 1978 GL1000 had the deceleration wobble, my 1994 GL1500 had the deceleration wobble, and my GL1800 now has the deceleration wobble, although it didn't really start till the bike had about 12-13,000 miles on the front tire. As long as it can be damped out by keeping your hands on the handle bars it really isn't a big deal, usually the easiest cure is to replace the front tire, however it can also be caused by the steering head bearings, the rear tire, the swing arm bearings, and possibly a few other items as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Front Tire flat spots

A Fork Brace does not seem to help. It seems the tire design, air pressure and the steering bearing adjustment are the answer. Metz seem to work best with a steering bearing adjustment.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hey Twistid, do you have the address or web site of the place you got the steering head kit? I'd be interested in replacing mine. TIA

·
Registered
226 Posts
wobble

twistid....i to thank the wobble/tire cupping is a honda design problem
always have always will
i did the same upgrades as you and i think the best by far is the bearings

duane.....go to www,allballsracing.com...way worth the time and money
i changed mine...it takes a while but really a cake walk

·
Registered
9 Posts
TIRE WOBBLE

MY 1800 WITH 37600 MILES AND 4 SETS OF TIRES HAS WOBBLES SINCE NEW.
SEEMS THE WOBBLE BEGINS WITH ABOUT 4000-6000 MILES.
ORIGINAL BRIGSTONES MADE IT TO 9000mi. REPLACED WITH DUNLOPS. THEY WERE WARENTEED WITH 3500mi. PUT ON ANOTHER SET OF BRIDGESTONES. THEY MADE IT TO 9500mi.
NOW HAVE ME880's WITH OVER 10500mi. THEY HAVE BEEN WOBBLING FOR SOME TIME, BUT ARE STILL LIKE NEW. DONT THINK THE TIRES CAUSE THE PROBLEM. THINK THE BIKE CAUSES THE PROBLEM. THE WOBBLE NOW, DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A DECELLERATION MODE. IT DOES IT AT ANY SPEED UNDER ABOUT 45mph.
MY VALK WITH OVER 12000mi ON AVON VENOMS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM. THIS SEEMS TO ONLY BE RELATED TO THE 1800 AND THE RADIAL TIRES.
HAVE A FRIEND WITH AN 1800 TRIKE. HE REPLACED THE FRONT WITH THE DUNLOP MADE FOR THE 1500 AND IS STILL RIDING WITH OVER 15000mi AND NO SIGN OF WOBBLE.
HONDA REALLY NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM. THIS IS WHY AVONS ARE NOT OUT YET.
DICK

·
Registered
69 Posts
TIRE WOBBLE

My big bike experience has been with my old Cavalcade from 85 till 2 weeks ago when we had to put her down, will take delivery of new 03 1800 on next monday. Any way with the Cavalcade the front wabble was always remedied with having the steering bearing retourked or replaced unless the front tire was very cuped, But the bigest proublem was having the bearing adjusted properly, I had a great deal of trouble finding shops with qualified people to do this work. I some times took bike back multipul times to get job done properly and having to argue with shop manager over him saying that the job was done right and wanting to do some other fix to stop wabble :x .

Thanks
Al

1 - 20 of 21 Posts