GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GL1800 that has 2 problems with the turn signals. The turn signal cancel does not work and the front turn signals and combination meter signal indicator lights also do not work. The running lights of the front lights (in turn signal housing) also do not work. I have disconnected, cleaned, and dielectric greased all electrical connectors found under the top panel and seat. I have checked the front turn signal bulbs and they are ok. The rear turn signal lights do work ok. The 4 way flashers also work on the rear but not on the front. What items should I check to isolate the problem? I had this similar problem on the front right turn signal back in march , but wiggling the blue connecter under the left top panel fixed it. Now both do not work. We plan on leaving for WingDing on Saturday, so time is of the essence. The turn signal cancel not working can wait til after WingDing if I don't have time to get parts before Friday. Would you recommend replacing the cancel unit in the steering stem? I have checked under the stem to see if the metal tab is not damaged and it seem ok visually. Any help here would also be good.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If I remember right I had a problem with the sig canceling and found a connector in the center of the steering stem had come loose. May be worth a try to look.

LAW

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,199 Posts
I have a 2001 GL1800 that has 2 problems with the turn signals. The turn signal cancel does not work and the front turn signals and combination meter signal indicator lights also do not work. The running lights of the front lights (in turn signal housing) also do not work. I have disconnected, cleaned, and dielectric greased all electrical connectors found under the top panel and seat. I have checked the front turn signal bulbs and they are ok. The rear turn signal lights do work ok. The 4 way flashers also work on the rear but not on the front. What items should I check to isolate the problem? I had this similar problem on the front right turn signal back in march , but wiggling the blue connecter under the left top panel fixed it. Now both do not work. We plan on leaving for WingDing on Saturday, so time is of the essence. The turn signal cancel not working can wait til after WingDing if I don't have time to get parts before Friday. Would you recommend replacing the cancel unit in the steering stem? I have checked under the stem to see if the metal tab is not damaged and it seem ok visually. Any help here would also be good.
C8 probably has corrosion in it from rain intrusion of the vent above. I would pull both pockets out and loosen the screws that hold the white frames in place and take all of these connectors apart on both sides of the fairing and spray contact cleaner into all the pins. C22 was your culprit on the right side when you had your earlier issue. The cancel unit has a larger connector on the right side near C22 that may be the culprit for the no canceling issue and spraying cleaner in all of them should catch it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Techdude 2000, I did clean all these and more (while I was at it) suggested connectors with no improvement. Matter of fact, I had only the right side turn signal not working when I started, and in the process of cleaning connectors, I now have both rt and lft not working. Also the running lights do not work, if that helps. When I started, the running lights were working on both sides; just the right side turn and indicator lights were out, and the rear light worked at a rapid rate. Is there a possibility the turn signal cancel not working is related or a separate issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LAW, I did clean the connector for the turn cancel assembly that is located in the center steering column, with no change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info: I have my top shelter, side panels and seat taken off the bike. Under all these places I cleaned and greased every connector I could access including all of the relays, diodes, etc that had plug in sockets.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,199 Posts
Techdude 2000, I did clean all these and more (while I was at it) suggested connectors with no improvement. Matter of fact, I had only the right side turn signal not working when I started, and in the process of cleaning connectors, I now have both rt and lft not working. Also the running lights do not work, if that helps. When I started, the running lights were working on both sides; just the right side turn and indicator lights were out, and the rear light worked at a rapid rate. Is there a possibility the turn signal cancel not working is related or a separate issue?
No, you still have some wiring issue up there in those connectors. The cancel unit turns on the flasher, if it was the issue your rear lights would not flash either. The power for the running lights and the turn signals runs through C22 (blue connector) on the right side before it splits up running all over the place. Is there a chance some pins are bent or possibly a connector not completely clicked together? Be careful with the grease, too much and you will cause disconnections in the connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts