GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Just a wee note: Do not be tempted to use a hollow socket to drive the second set of bearings home, the driver MUST be completely flat across its drive surface and bear on both the inner and out rings of the race equally. I guess an upturned socket if it is flat across the top would be ok.

Registered
I posted this yesterday, but it seems not to appear. Any way; my HF slide hammer puller works for me on OE twin bearings. I do believe the Honda version is easier.

Make sure you follow the installation sequence of the service manual to the letter. IIRC on the pre-2018 models the right bearing set is pressed in until it bottoms on the rest cut into the wheel. Then the center inner bearing spacer is slipped in from the left, the the left bearing set is pressed in until its center race just barely makes contact with the spacer. I believe the 2018+ versions have the alignment referenced to the left, just the opposite of previous "generation".

prs
It posted to the old thread Walrus Refered to in this one 馃憤馃徏

Registered
I posted this yesterday, but it seems not to appear. Any way; my HF slide hammer puller works for me on OE twin bearings. I do believe the Honda version is easier.

Make sure you follow the installation sequence of the service manual to the letter. IIRC on the pre-2018 models the right bearing set is pressed in until it bottoms on the rest cut into the wheel. Then the center inner bearing spacer is slipped in from the left, the the left bearing set is pressed in until its center race just barely makes contact with the spacer. I believe the 2018+ versions have the alignment referenced to the left, just the opposite of previous "generation".

prs
Pigeon,I was wondering if you list the exact slide hammer puller you got from Harbor Freight

Vendor
Greg there is no rust in my bearings, I frequently pull the axle, clean & inspect the bearings, @ 140 K mi I think it's time for a new set...
At that milage there'd be nothing wrong with replacing them as PM.

Registered
Pigeon,I was wondering if you list the exact slide hammer puller you got from Harbor Freight
Will be home over the holiday weekend, I will check it for model number or part number and get back with it.

prs

Registered
A couple of days ago I posted that I have and have used Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set. I incorrectly said it was model number 89742. I apologize for that. The correct item is Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set 95987. It sold foe $72.99.
Later, I bought the puller from dhs-machine on Ebay for $35. They have over 40 special tools for motorcycle maintenance. The tool that I bought was half the price of the Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set 95987 and it worked perfectly.

Registered
A couple of days ago I posted that I have and have used Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set. I incorrectly said it was model number 89742. I apologize for that. The correct item is Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set 95987. It sold foe $72.99.
Later, I bought the puller from dhs-machine on Ebay for $35. They have over 40 special tools for motorcycle maintenance. The tool that I bought was half the price of the Harbor Freight Blind Hole Bearing Puller Set 95987 and it worked perfectly.
Thanks, I made up mind.I am going to get the one off ebay for when I need it.

Registered
That's a good price. Cheaper than the HF one.
I have one of these tools, but didn鈥檛 know what it was, or where I got it. According to the add, it鈥檚 only an install tool. I need the expander removal tool to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I have one of these tools, but didn鈥檛 know what it was, or where I got it. According to the add, it鈥檚 only an install tool. I need the expander removal tool to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you referring to this? The installer and remover head are shown with the shaft used to remove the bearing once the head is installed in the inner race of the bearing.
Bearing Installer-remover.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
I bought the bearing tool from Dan, he is a VERY nice guy, fair prices, & super quick shipping!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts