GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys! There's a wealth of knowledge here so I put it to you. There is a listing for a bearing driver remover with one part number then there's listings for a remover head and a remover shaft each with their own part number. what's the difference? Sounds to me like one tool to remove and replace the bearings then another tool with two pieces to remove the bearings. What's the concensus?

LAW

·
Registered
918 Posts
To remove the front wheel bearings there is a piece that you insert into the bearing from the outside with a large split in it. The split end goes into the bearing. There is a large piece that hangs out. You then place the wheel on the floor, or something hard, and you feed a shaft with a flat end on it, like a large screwdriver, and drive the shaft into the piece you put into the bearing with the split. This spreads the piece in the bearing. Then you support the wheel and continue to drive the shaft on through and the piece that was spread out in the bearing pulls the bearing out. You have to do this four times as there are two bearings on each side. I recommend having a manual also as there is a sequence to putting the new bearings back in. A 30mm socket will allow you to drive the new bearings in. Hope this makes sense. I bought a whole bearing, several inserts, remover kit on eBay for $50+.

Let me know if you want more info as I just learned how to do this on a wheel I had powder coated as the bearings have to be removed to be coated.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Search thru Fred Harmons posts. He did it with a concrete anchor bolt that he bought in a hardware store. He is great at doing things inexpensively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts