GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 DCT 13000 miles

Got home from a 8000 mile trip....

At what mileage is it recommended to change your front wheel bearings on the 2018?...I have one good wobble...tried two different rear tires...same wobble...front tire will be changed next week (has 13000 miles on it) could good another 2000 miles but the wobble is getting worse.

Thoughts on the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
If you do not use pressure washer, the bearings may go 100,000 plus miles. I would predict a more conservative 40,000.

prs

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Might you have a mechanic's stethoscope? When you get the brake calipers off, you could elevate the front end and spin it while listening for noise. If you have never done this before it could take some practice to learn what 'bad' sounds like. Way too early for a bad wheel bearing in most cases though. As PR says good intensions can shorten the life expectancy.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
And of course, as with all things (especially mechanical things), there will be some early failures and some that will last much longer than the majority.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
2018 DCT 13000 miles

Got home from a 8000 mile trip....

At what mileage is it recommended to change your front wheel bearings on the 2018?...I have one good wobble...tried two different rear tires...same wobble...front tire will be changed next week (has 13000 miles on it) could good another 2000 miles but the wobble is getting worse.

Thoughts on the wheel bearings?

No wobble. Are you using a Car Tire? If so I see why the bearings are screwed up & the tire is wobbling.
If not replace tires and balance

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No wobble. Are you using a Car Tire? If so I see why the bearings are screwed up & the tire is wobbling.
If not replace tires and balance

On the rear tried both MT and CT no difference...replacing front tire on Thursday..Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
My bet is its the front tire and a new tire will cure it...front wheel bearing...my old wing had 100K miles on it and I checked the front bearings and they were still very smooth..but I did buy new wheel bearings and was going to replace them at the next tire change regardless...but that would had been at 115K miles. I doubt your front wheel bearing are bad at only 13K miles.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I fail to see a plausible causal relationship of damaged front wheel bearing to use of rear Darksider tire. Is the suggestion of such based upon evidence based thinking?

My 2018 developed decel wobbled as the original tire neared the end of its life. I replaced that tire and wobble continued. I then changed the apparently still very good front tire, the wobble continued. I then put my Darksider tire, a non run flat, onto the rear and the wobble has ceased. Was it the tire(s), or some unknown variable? I even re-mounted the original front tire since the tire stand was still out and ready.

prs

Reactions: anotherone

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
I fail to see a plausible causal relationship of damaged front wheel bearing to use of rear Darksider tire. Is the suggestion of such based upon evidence based thinking?

My 2018 developed decel wobbled as the original tire neared the end of its life. I replaced that tire and wobble continued. I then changed the apparently still very good front tire, the wobble continued. I then put my Darksider tire, a non run flat, onto the rear and the wobble has ceased. Was it the tire(s), or some unknown variable? I even re-mounted the original front tire since the tire stand was still out and ready.

prs
WONKY TIRES ARE EVIL !!!!!! "SOME THINK SO " !!:surprise::wrong::a13:

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
WONKY TIRES ARE EVIL !!!!!! "SOME THINK SO " !!:surprise::wrong::a13:
I get that, but I was thinking laen, an experienced member here, might have good cause to state what he did and, if so, I would like to know.

prs

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
on the rear tried both mt and ct no difference...replacing front tire on thursday..thanks
all thats left is tire wear. Then wheel bearings, bad rim? Brakes sticking / rubbing as stated.
WHEN RUNNING A SQUARE CT MOST ROAD WEAR HAS SMALL RUTTS WERE HEAVY LOADED TRUCKS RUTTING AND THAT SQUARE TIRE IS GOING TO ROAM ANYWHERE IT WANTS. HERE IS A EXTREME EXAMPLE BUT MOST HAVE VERY SMALL RUTS AND YOUR TIRE WILL NOT LIKE THEM AT ANY SIZE. A ROUNDED MOTORCYCLE TIRE WILL RIDE ANYWHERE.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got bike back last night....nope was not the CT on the rear...front tire was bad..new tire installed...wheel bearings sound good...all is good....Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts