GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Some folks have over 300k miles without changing. I have 137k, last tire change still good, still have no noise, wheel rotates smoothly.

Or in other words, change when they start making noise - rough rotation by hand. There is no guarantee that you won't ding a new one installing, and you just caused yourself a problem when you didn't have one before. Bearing will let you know that it's having an issue well before it strands you.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I check my bearings every time I change the air in my tires. (It was a pita A** to find the rear wheel bearings)

I get better mileage with fresh air in the tires.. (Stale air makes the bike ride Wicked hard over deep pot holes)
Plus you need to change the air for different seasons. Winter air is not good for summer riding. :eek:

·
Vendor
22,818 Posts
It's impossible to predict how long they will last. Honda uses a double bearing set up using good quality Japanese bearings so they should be good for a long time. If you do replace them, stick with OEM Honda bearings. If I had to put a mileage number on when to replace them, I'd say between 80-100K miles, but they could go longer or fail earlier.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
How often should the front end bearings be replaced. I have a 03 wing with 70k+ miles and have never replaced them. Thank you for your input and safe riding to all

When you have the wheel off pop your finger in where the axle goes and rotate the bearings manually back and forward. Any sideways movement? If it rotates silky smooth and not loose it’s probably good to go. Any roughness, grinding, loose feeling it’s probably a good time to swap them out. I check them with every tyre change.

Have a surf.

Ride safe Kiwi

Forgot to add. Raise the front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel, try side to side movement. Any movement or roughness needs to be further looked at. Also pull forward and back for the stem bearings check for movement, swing full arc both directions.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's impossible to predict how long they will last. Honda uses a double bearing set up using good quality Japanese bearings so they should be good for a long time. If you do replace them, stick with OEM Honda bearings. If I had to put a mileage number on when to replace them, I'd say between 80-100K miles, but they could go longer or fail earlier.
Was thinking about why there are such disparate results for front wheel bearing lifespans on GL1800s. Could it be how they are ridden? I wonder if these high-mileage experiences come from owners who primarily ride interstates/freeways, with minimal heavy loading from hard braking, hard cornering etc. and all the twisting and pressure that comes from aggressive, sportbike kind of riding in the mountains? I don't know anything about what contributes to or reduces lifespan of sealed ball bearings, but it would seem that steady-state operation from highway cruising would be as ideal a life for a bearing as can be. Fred, based on observations in this area, can you draw any conclusions?

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,809 Posts
How often should the front end bearings be replaced. I have a 03 wing with 70k+ miles and have never replaced them. Thank you for your input and safe riding to all
Not a routine maintenance item. They should be changed if/when they need changing. Riding style, road conditions, extreme environmental conditions, slight manufacturing defects in material or workmanship, wheel roundness, tire maintenance and balance, shock-and-spring conditions, and more, all can effect wheel-bearing longevity.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts