GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
Thanks for posting this question, I was just wondering about this the other day while reading another thread about bearings. However, I will make sure to use synthetic gear lube when I pump it in around my front axle, don't want it to loose its viscosity while it's working its way into the bearings.

Reactions: gkarasik

Registered
Thanks for posting this question, I was just wondering about this the other day while reading another thread about bearings. However, I will make sure to use synthetic gear lube when I pump it in around my front axle, don't want it to loose its viscosity while it's working its way into the bearings.
And it does suction it鈥檚 way in there when spinning.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Some folks have over 300k miles without changing. I have 137k, last tire change still good, still have no noise, wheel rotates smoothly.

Or in other words, change when they start making noise - rough rotation by hand. There is no guarantee that you won't ding a new one installing, and you just caused yourself a problem when you didn't have one before. Bearing will let you know that it's having an issue well before it strands you.
Thank you for the info.

Registered
Just changed out my front wheel bearings from All Balls to OEM, prior to the change I had whirring sound, I did everything the Honda manual said to do, followed torque specs to the "T".
was very careful when doing the install, took it for a ride today & the front wheel still whirr's slightly??
I don't get it??
There is a slight amount of space between the Spacer & the bearings, check for pads rubbing, or anything that could possibly be near the rotors..
Maybe Fred H. could answer this?? right now I'm gonna ride it no matter what..

Registered
There should be no gap between the spacer and the bearing. The spacer sits into the dust seal, so you should not even be able to see it. You line up the groove on the axle with the edge of the left front fork and tighten the axle, That should have drawn everything together.
Another thing to check is the space between the calipers and the rotors.
Font Parallel Terrestrial plant Rectangle Circle

The 0.28 measurement should read .028

Registered
There should be no gap between the spacer and the bearing. The spacer sits into the dust seal, so you should not even be able to see it. You line up the groove on the axle with the edge of the left front fork and tighten the axle, That should have drawn everything together.
Another thing to check is the space between the calipers and the rotors.
View attachment 400691
The 0.28 measurement should read .028
Do you have centramatics? They make noise.

Registered
No centermatics, 2 oz of Dyna Beads, I'm refering to the INNER SPACER, not the outer spacers, everything is set by the book, whirring is slightly less as opposed to using All Balls bearings..
Dunno?? I'll ride till it blows up, maybe gremlins??
I spun the wheel while the bike was on the lift, didn't hear any drag?? A mystery I'll tell ya??

Reactions: GLblinded

Registered
No centermatics, 2 oz of Dyna Beads, I'm refering to the INNER SPACER, not the outer spacers, everything is set by the book, whirring is slightly less as opposed to using All Balls bearings..
Dunno?? I'll ride till it blows up, maybe gremlins??
I spun the wheel while the bike was on the lift, didn't hear any drag?? A mystery I'll tell ya??
Tire noise?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts