GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
no tire noise, same noise w/ a different brand of tire..
the only thing I can come up w/ is the dust seals are spinning on the outside spacers & thus creating a whine, the seals are greased from the factory, but, maybe not enough??
I ck'd the bearings when I finished the install & they roll nice & smooth, no clacking or roughness, next oil change I'll pull the front wheel & add some more grease & we'll see how that works.
right now no one is able to explain this phenomenon!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
the only thing I can come up w/ is the dust seals are spinning on the outside spacers & thus creating a whine, the seals are greased from the factory, but, maybe not enough??
I ck'd the bearings when I finished the install & they roll nice & smooth, no clacking or roughness, next oil change I'll pull the front wheel & add some more grease & we'll see how that works.
Shove the axle in with a little gear lube in there next time can't hurt,.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Every part is greased!! maybe its a BUILT -IN noise??

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
So did the different brand tire swap still use beads? If so, I’d bet you are hearing the beads inside the tire.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800a
28 Posts
Does the sound change when you are turning to the right or left? Mine makes a little noise when I’m leaned into a right hand sweeper, but there is no sound when I lift the front wheel and spin it. 🤷🏻

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'm going to try & spin the wheel faster by using an electric motor which will be put up against the tire & spun @ maybe 20mph, we'll see how that goes..
Rode it yesterday & the whirring sound is still there, we rode on different types of road's / blacktop the front tire does not make any noise, even while in a turn/ sweeper.
I thought about the beads making noise, but it's to much of a hassle to pull the tire, remove the beads, balance the wheel, yada,yada.
the only thing I see that could possibly make noise is the "dust seals" spinning around the axle spacers??
The next oil change I'll be due for brake pads, that's when I'll remove the wheel & apply some "red & sticky" grease to the dust seals, just to see if it makes a diffrence.
Right now the seals have a lite cote of silicone grease on the inner part of the seal from the factory.
BTW, I have EBC pads on the front, they will have about 35K mi on them when they are ready for a change, not bad!!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I changed the brake pads, spin the wheel w/ a rig that I set up w/ an electric motor, did not hear any whirring coming from front wheel.
Test rode the bike & the noise is still evident!! I can't find anything wrong w/ the bearings, nothing is rubbing, loose, no wear marks are evident?? I don't get it??
Any comments would be helpful, otherwise I'll ride it till it brakes, I installed 3 sets of bearing's & have no idea what so ever!!! ???

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I changed the brake pads, spin the wheel w/ a rig that I set up w/ an electric motor, did not hear any whirring coming from front wheel.
Test rode the bike & the noise is still evident!! I can't find anything wrong w/ the bearings, nothing is rubbing, loose, no wear marks are evident?? I don't get it??
Any comments would be helpful, otherwise I'll ride it till it brakes, I installed 3 sets of bearing's & have no idea what so ever!!! ???
With everything you did and commented on no noise on asphalt, which is probably a smoother surface, it's just normal tire noise. Stop dwelling on a problem that doesn't exist. Just RIDE.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tire noise would be first guess and the correct brake drag. ALL disk brakes drag the pads ever so slightly. I shouldn't say drag.... they make a slight swooshing sound. Some pads make more noise than others but they all will do that. That would be my guess as to what you are hearing.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
problem is, the whirring was not there till I changed the wheel bearings back in 2020 then rode to yellowstone & back, 6000k mi in the total trip, it whirred all the way out & all the way back & has not gone away.
I changed the front tire, bearings & brake pads, it just baffles me...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never had any troubles with wheel bearings o0n any of my Gold Wings over the years, around 500,000 milles. I wonder if taking bike through car wash, and getting soapy water forced into areas not supposed to be has anything to do with bearing problems.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I never take it to a car wash, always wash it by hand @ home, bought his bike new & it's never out in the weather unless I'm on the road..

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
problem is, the whirring was not there till I changed the wheel bearings back in 2020 then rode to yellowstone & back, 6000k mi in the total trip, it whirred all the way out & all the way back & has not gone away.
I changed the front tire, bearings & brake pads, it just baffles me...
Now start looking for something other than bearings. Broken fender tabs, loose parts in the front end or something else causing the noise. You say it doesn't do this when you spin the wheel while it is raised.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
A bad bearing can be spun without weight on it and never show a problem. Since you have done bearings so much. Is there an issue in the bearing bore? Creating a tight spot in the races, and thus causing your noise? In support of cihilb’s idea, ride it without any of the front trim on. Maybe something , maybe not. I would substitute an entire wheel assembly as a test. Maybe a friend? A good friend anyhow.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
nothing is loose on the front end, this started after I changed out bearings & installed a set of All Balls, I now have OEM bearings, followed the OEM instructions in the manual to the T & still the noise persist.???
I'm gonna ride it till it breaks!!!
The wheel borings look good to me..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Question-- Does the Axle slide through all four bearings & inner spacer smoothly, with the wheel off??
If so?. this would at least eliminate a bearing race out of alignment, binding on the axle, possibly causing a noise?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
axle slides thru by hand very easily, no binding whats so ever.
I even ck'g the rear car tire for rubbing & there is no marks or evidence.
I went from a B'stone Excedra Max on the front whitch whirred, to a Dunlop American Elite, been running a car tire for about 12yrs, never had an issue there??
I'll run it till I need a new tire then I'll have the dealer do another set of OEM bearings & see what the results are??
In the meantime I'll speak to some other techs & see what they think..

41 - 60 of 60 Posts