GL1800Riders Forums banner

Front Wheel Bearings

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  IR Harry 
#1 ·
After just a little more than 55,000 miles on my '03 (I know, leaving it parked too much) I'm having to replace the front wheel bearings on the bike. Not really surprising, as this bike probably sees harder use than 99.9% of GL1800's while I ride around with ADVriders on their dual sports.
Partly my own fault as the last time I installed a new front tire at home I noticed the RH seal was worn, as well as the bearing collar upon which it rides. Should have replaced them then, but in a hurry, etc. It was probably fording the deeper than normal stream a month or so ago that provided the finishing touch.
Anyway, there was some noise and jerking coming from the front end on my last ride in to the big city (Los Anchorage) and getting home was becoming more doubtful with every mile. But make it I did - and parked the bike 'til repairs could be made.
Sure enough, the RH outer bearing was in total disarray, with the little balls running around in a random pattern. The inner bearing was in somewhat better shape, and was the only reason the bike was able to be ridden home rather than occupy an ignominious postion on a trailer.
But examination of the bearings (my first time to have a reason to do so) revealed the fact that on each side two #6004 bearings are siamesed together with a rubber seal on the outer sides of the pair only. This means that the two bearings are sharing lubricant, but also sharing any contaminants that are able to get past the seals. It was obvious that ground up material from the outer bearing had entered the inner bearing and accelerated its demise. This design seems to obviate, to some extent, the redundancy that the dual bearings would otherwise provide.
So the replacement bearings will be two separate bearings on each side, each with 2 rubber seals, so as to provide as much protection as possible to every bearing. For those of you who only have to replace front wheel bearings every 200,000 miles or so, it won't make much difference, and someone needs to support Honda's parts division. :lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
your rite the stock bearings are not made for underwater use :D

replaced mine at 120,000 because they were not turning as free as i thought they should, bought aftermarket sealed bearings, maybe in my case the replacements could have been avoided by just pumping a little greese under the seals at every tire change, thats what i started doing on the spare wheel with the stock bearings and it seems to work fine

#4 ·
Pronunciation: "ig-n&-'mi-nE-&s
Function: adjective
1 : marked with or characterized by disgrace or shame : DISHONORABLE
2 : deserving of shame or infamy : DESPICABLE
3 : HUMILIATING, DEGRADING <suffered an ignominious defeat>
- ig·no·min·i·ous·ly adverb
- ig·no·min·i·ous·ness noun

Yup,,,,I had to look it up. 8)

#5 ·
For what its worth -

All Balls Racing makes a kit for changing the front wheel bearings -

Includes all four bearings and seals for both sides in one package

Kit is part number 25-1381
Wheel Bearing - Seal Kit
Front Wheel Honda 1800cc GL1800 Gold Wing 2001-2004

About $20 including freight

http://www.allballsracing.com/bearing_kits/wheel_bearings_and_seals.htm

#6 ·
I replaced mine at 180,000 miles, Same thing , left side filled with water and rusted out.

I also replace with normal sealed bearing, not sharing oil LOL So far so good now with 207k on it.

Liked your story on the snow tires and the snow LOL

#8 ·
Fred H

Why do you think the factory set it up with the bearings open faced to each other ??? I did not put them back that way, I keep both bearings sealed as individuals.

Tom

#9 ·
Fred - And those wondering about the other kit -

Here is a picture of the All Balls kit -

And the bearings are all sealed on both sides. All four are the same number, at the point of the pen.
The two seals are different - one for one side, one for the other.

Don't think I would be using the OEM bearings after looking at the difference.
Unless I liked red better than blue.....we all know red is faster.......
But there has to be something poetic about Blue All Balls...... :duck:

#10 ·
Pigeon Roost said:
"gnominious" :shock:

Damn; there's a man with a vocabulary!

prs
Can't help it. Former truck driver turned plumber, and with such high falutin' professions in my background them big words just comes natcheral. :lol:

#11 ·
truck driver turned plumber
Got the important things down, now?
1. It all runs downhill...
2. Don't lick your fingers...
3. Payday is on Friday...

:lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Our evenings down here are getting long, also.....

#13 ·
Bearings are not marked, but package says KML, meaning made in either China, Japan, or Italy. Looked up the bearing and is listed as a single row double sealed ball bearing part number 6004-2RDC3P6QE6.

Seals have a SKF in the rubber, not stamped as to manufacture country, and, looking at the web site, they have 103 production sites, including Chicago Rawhide (CR) in the US.

Out of curiosity, who manufactured the OEM bearings and seals? If its is NTN, could be USA, Canada, China, Japan, Europe...even Timkin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.