GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 without TPMS and a 10 with TPMS. In the owners manual for the 10, it says to use a TPMS compatible wheel. I'm not sure what they mean so I looked up the wheel part numbers for both bikes and they're the same except for the last three digits.

If the TPMS system on the bike is the same as on cars, than the only difference between the two bikes should be the type of valve stem. Has anyone ran into an issue replacing the front wheel on a TMPS equipped bike with a wheel from an older 1800 which doesn't have TPMS? I have a spare front wheel for the 08 I picked up cheap, but I'm going to sell the 08 soon, and I'm hoping the wheel would work on the 10 by just swapping the valve stem if need be.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The "TPMS" wheel has the tab for the valve holder ground off. The tab is for a clip to hold the valve stem in place so you can press an air hose or gauge to the stem. The TPMS stem will not fit with that tab in place. Also, the TPMS stem is a hard fixed 90 degree angle and does not need the clip to hold it. You probably could get a non TPMS wheel and grind off the tab yourself and have it work. But once you do, putting it on a non TPMS bike would mean getting a hard angle bolt on stem on it because the rubber pull in's will be a pain to check and fill without the holder clip..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That actually reminds me of something.... With reverse trikes gaining popularity, are there any used front wheels in good shape showing up now? My front wheel was either abused by the tire shop I am now stuck with (the good one closed, owner retired and moved away) or I hit several major potholes that I don't ever remember hitting..... the last front tire I got, I had a "holy crap!" moment when I was putting it back on seeing how badly and how many places it is bent.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hmm. I didn't know that, @DDL. I've got a rear from an unknown model year, will watch that if I ever need to replace the stem. Is the same thing going on at the back end?

OP, as long as you don't care about the TPMS part, AFAIK the fit to the bike is the same.

With that age, the TPMS batteries have to be dead now so you're either ignoring the red light or taping over it or you replaced the $en$or$, right? If you're going to spend the money, going aftermarket for a TPMS that gives you readings instead of an idiot light. FOBO, or others.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
09 to 17 are the TPMS years and the rear also either has a tab for a plastic clip or not. The pre-TPMS bikes I had, my first valve stem replacement was a bolt on hard 90 degree stem that long outlived the OEM stems. The stub for the clip did not interfere with those stems, but it may with the TPMS stem (just by a tiny bit). A little effort with a file may let the TMPS stem work on a pre '09 rim. A TPMS rim on a non TPMS bike will need one of these:
https://wingstuff.com/products/26903-chrome-metal-valve-stem-for-gl1500-gl1800-most-motorcycles because you will not have that clip anymore.

I consistently get 3 years of battery life on my TPMS sensors. When time, I replace the battery for just a tiny fraction of the cost for replacing the entire sensor that I would still have to pay a dealer to "make work". I even replace the battery at the tire shop. I ask for the rim after the old tire is off and solder in the new one from the back of my SUV, then let them finish up the new tire install.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
That actually reminds me of something.... With reverse trikes gaining popularity, are there any used front wheels in good shape showing up now?
If reverse trike are gaining in popularity, it is really, really slow. Most of the trike dealers I know say that they cannot get rid of the 1 or 2 kits that they might have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts