GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ddint get a oweners manual with the bike , ( RIDDING BLIND , in some areas)

I'm looking for the tork speck, the front wheel disc, I have the speck for putting it back on. I have the wheel off, trying to regease front wheel.

I hasve an 06 Nav, with 35+ on it, and as I start into a right or left turn I feel and hear a growling sound, thought it could be the bearing!!

what do you think????????

TY, for any help!!!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most likely the tire as you turn, Pretty common with some, not so much with others.

Torque on the front brake rotors, discs, is 15 ft. lbs, but recommend stop at 12. They will snap in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
927 Posts

I'm looking for the tork speck, the front wheel disc, I have the speck for putting it back on. I have the wheel off, trying to regease front wheel.

I hasve an 06 Nav, with 35+ on it, and as I start into a right or left turn I feel and hear a growling sound, thought it could be the bearing!!

TY, for any help!!!!
Could the growl just be the tire? They do that, and it's rare to wear out wheel bearings that fast. Generally, you should be able to feel looseness with the wheel attached or roughness when you spin the bearing with your finger if it's the bearings. They're "sealed", and don't need maintenance greasing, it's a replace if there are problems deal.

I can't see any reason why you'd take off the brake disc. As I recollect, the caliper bolts are about 23 lb-ft except for the torx bolt, which is about 19, the large axle bolt is about 44, the four small clamp bolts are about 16. There is a specified sequence for tightening the wheel, large bolt, two clamp bolts on that side, get the other side fork in the middle of where it wants to be; the groove is a rough guide, other two clamp bolts.

Get a shop manual, it beats random advice from the Internet.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Bearings are sealed. Putting grease on anything but the axle is a waste of time. A thin layer on the axle at that.

Your tires are cupped, hence the vibration.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY guys, I took it off to check the bearing and see if I could grease it, the Disc, Well had the wheel off so I thought I'd clean the Nasty Rim, dont think the guy before me every cleaned it!! :22yikes:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Twenty seven years of riding and servicing wings and I have never removed a rotor unless it was worn and needed to be replaced. I have never bent one either. The 1800 front wheel bearings are double on each side. They are also sealed. To check them just remove the wheel from the bike and stick your finger into the axle hole and turn the bearings to see if they are smooth or rough. No need to remove it from the wheel to ck it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts

TY, for any help!!!!
If you pm me with your email address, I can send you an electronic copy of the owners manual. :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Sports Fans !!

I was putting the bike back together, I've got the disc on wheel cleaned, installing the shaft and stated the big bolt on the left hand side of (as ur seatting on the bike) I see something out of the corner of my eye flash, look up an the hazard lights flashed 4 times and go out, I look around the side of the bike to see if my girlfriend is playing area, nothing, get up and push the Haz light buttom, nothin, I shake the bike pretty hard nothin!!!!

My ??? What the hell, just happen, why did the light do this ??? :eek: !

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was putting the bike back together, I've got the disc on wheel cleaned, installing the shaft and stated the big bolt on the left hand side of (as ur seatting on the bike) I see something out of the corner of my eye flash, look up an the hazard lights flashed 4 times and go out, I look around the side of the bike to see if my girlfriend is playing area, nothing, get up and push the Haz light buttom, nothin, I shake the bike pretty hard nothin!!!!

I don't know. But the large bolt that goes into the center of the axle goes on the RIGHT side, as you're sitting on the bike. I actually don't see how you could assemble this the other way.

Get the shop manual before you do anything else.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts

Did you have the remote in your pocket? The right button would have flashed them twice. Did you hear the lock unit make any noise?

·
Registered
268 Posts

I did not think the spacers would let you put the axle in the right side so you could put the bolt on the left side. Remember left and right when working on the motorcycle is from your view when sitting on the bike, or standing from behind looking forward. Not from the front looking to the rear.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Did you have the key fob in your pocket? Sounds like you inadvertently pressed the unlock button.

Below is a link to a 2009 Owners Manual.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfkrage/GL1800_Owners_Manuals/09_GL1800 Owners Manual.pdf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts