GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my wheels and had new ones installed at the shop but when I was re-mounting the rear tire I had asked my wife to hold the brake as I torqued the rear tire. I believe she initially grabbed the front brake and pulled this one by mistake (I think). Anyways I am now at the front and noticed the calipers are closed so I can't mount the front wheel. I had initially only taken the right calper off to remove the tire so the left one is still on. I am afraid to put a screwdriver in and prior them open because I would be concerned about damaging the pads. What can I do to open the calpers up to install the wheel. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Use the screw driver, your not going to hurt the pads.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Greg, a screwdriver will work fine, or any other broad flat pry thingie. there is a special tool you can use from Motion Pro, but if you use a bit of caution, you should be OK, The brake pads are pretty tough, and it doesn't take a lot of force to separate them. Just go slowly, and you'll be fine.

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think your lucky, on a auto caliper, If your pads had fallen out the piston could have popped out from applying the brakes.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Worst comes to worst, you can just open up a bleeder valve and lose a little fluid while pushing the pistons back in. That's also a good opportunity to spritz on some brake cleaner and use an old toothbrush as necessary to get the grime off the pistons.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I removed my wheels and had new ones installed at the shop but when I was re-mounting the rear tire I had asked my wife to hold the brake as I torqued the rear tire. I believe she initially grabbed the front brake and pulled this one by mistake (I think). Anyways I am now at the front and noticed the calipers are closed so I can't mount the front wheel. I had initially only taken the right calper off to remove the tire so the left one is still on. I am afraid to put a screwdriver in and prior them open because I would be concerned about damaging the pads. What can I do to open the calpers up to install the wheel. Thanks for responding.
Keep in mind that the braking system is linked, so by having here step on the rear brake pedal she also applied pressure to the center left front and outer 2 right front calipers...

·
Registered
989 Posts
When taking off/on the rear wheel I just put it in 1st gear...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When mounting and dismounting the rear wheel, just the the thing on the ground. and release each nut slightly, working your way across the wheel several times. Then raise it up off the ground or lay it down and finish removing the nuts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
when pulling both wheels at the same time, put the front back on first.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
If you had any cross words with your spouse, now is the time for candy, flowers and a chick flick. The system is linked as shown. The pedal works the fronts too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts