GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new front tire. Any tips on removing the front wheel , anything to watch for?
Its a 2004 with ABS.

Do the brake calipers need to be removed? Any online how to's(pics are always good).

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The owner's manual for my '09 gives a pretty good picture of how to remove the wheel and yes one caliper has to come off. It's actually pretty easy to remove the wheel.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, the tire and wheel won't come out without removing one caliper.

Pay attention to the axle spacer positioning (or take a digital picture).

When replacing:

Do the front end "bounce" as described in the manual, it centers the wheel in the forks for proper rotor clearance......but check those clearances anyway.

And.....have a good torque wrench and use it according to the book.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Setting on the bike remove the right caliper, is the easier of the two.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
After you re-mount the wheel and slip the caliper over the rotor, makes sure you pump BOTH brakes several times to re-seat the pads against the rotor before you ride.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Without an owners manual or a maintenance manual to look at you should not even attempt the job. No one can explain in words what you can see in photos and the instructions offered on an Internet forum is a recipe for disaster. You need all the torque values for the fasteners involved etc :thumbup:.
Some years have you checking caliper/brake rotor clearances :shrug:.
Do it right.
You don't want to be the subject of a "Prayers Sent" thread :nojoke:.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The owner's manual for my '09 gives a pretty good picture of how to remove the wheel and yes one caliper has to come off. It's actually pretty easy to remove the wheel.
Your response about looking in the owners manual is the most intelligent in this thread and it wasn't done just to raise your post count :thumbup:.
It amazes me how many morons will post "Atta Boy", Giter Done" and other useless information just raise their post count. A high post count does not mean a person has a high intelligence level. It usually means they either "have no life" or think there is a prize for the highest post count :nojoke: . Maybe there is a prize that I am not aware of :congrats::joke::shrug:.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Your response about looking in the owners manual is the most intelligent in this thread and it wasn't done just to raise your post count :thumbup:.
It amazes me how many morons will post "Atta Boy", Giter Done" and other useless information just raise their post count. A high post count does not mean a person has a high intelligence level. It usually means they either "have no life" or think there is a prize for the highest post count :nojoke: . Maybe there is a prize that I am not aware of :congrats::joke::shrug:.
Thanks for that commend GatorWing. I only posted it because I had looked at the pics in the owners manual the day before and thought they were good.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
After you re-mount the wheel and slip the caliper over the rotor, makes sure you pump BOTH brakes several times to re-seat the pads against the rotor before you ride.
Amen to that!!! Happened to me the other day. I forgot to pump the brakes a couple time, and the first time I went to hit the brakes, I got nothing. Talk about an adrenalin rush! Good thing I was going slow about to make a turn to another street. Very good point. Probably something we all take for granted but manage to space out from time to time. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts