GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to remove the front tire of my 04 GL1800? The honda shop said that if I bring the wheel to them they will change the tire for free. If it is still on my bike then they will charge $75. I thought if it was not too big a deal I would just bring them the rim. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
put the bike on its center stand, use a floor jack and put it under the crash bars. jack it up untill the front wheel is off of the ground. procede to remove the brake calipers, front fender, then loosen up the pinch bolts on one side and then loosen up the axle.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put the bike on its center stand, use a floor jack and put it under the crash bars. jack it up untill the front wheel is off of the ground. procede to remove the brake calipers, front fender, then loosen up the pinch bolts on one side and then loosen up the axle.
Thank you. So I do not need a calibration wrench to put it back on? Do I need anything special to put it back on right? Lock tight? anything?

Doesn't sound too hard.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
There are good directions in the owners manual.
Front wheel removal is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha too funny. I never even thought to look for info there. That manual is pretty usless for most other things.
Thanks I will look for that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thank you. So I do not need a calibration wrench to put it back on? Do I need anything special to put it back on right? Lock tight? anything?

Doesn't sound too hard.
I think you mean a torque wrench. Nice to have but not an absolute necessity. Just don't tighten anything to the point of a grunt. Keep the weight off your brake discs. Two 2x4's to lay the wheel on. Remove the caliper pivot bolts on the right side and you will have to spread the brake pads to put them back on. When it's all back together, check your brakes before you start your engine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you mean a torque wrench. Nice to have but not an absolute necessity. Just don't tighten anything to the point of a grunt. Keep the weight off your brake discs. Two 2x4's to lay the wheel on. Remove the caliper pivot bolts on the right side and you will have to spread the brake pads to put them back on. When it's all back together, check your brakes before you start your engine.
This really does not sound too hard. The thing that made me wonder about it was that the shop told me that the front is way harder to do than the rear and that is why they charge more to remove a front tire than a rear tire.

Oops, yes you are right I meant a torque wrench.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Actually the owners manual has a lot of good info. As far as the front being harder, it is. The rear only takes 5 lug nuts to remove, just lik a car.

Happy Wrenching

·
Registered
876 Posts
You can easily remove the front tire by removing the fender and just the right caliper (sitting in the seat looking forward). However you do it, do not let the calipers hang on the brake lines. Support the weight of the calipers by hanging with a bungee or twine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is the whole bike balancing on a little jack? That seems kinda risky to me. Just asking.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
So is the whole bike balancing on a little jack? That seems kinda risky to me. Just asking.
I don't think your quite ready to try the wheel thing,...

Why doncha try an oil and filter change first... and come back next year. :popcorn:
Y'all got any winger friends? Hang out some with them. Getting yourself a set of Fred's videos is a MUST also.
thecruiser

·
Registered
119 Posts
No just lift the front wheel. The rear of the bike should be on the center stand. It would be a good idea to tie something from the bottom of the center stand to the engine crash bar to be sure the stand can't fold up. :-(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No just lift the front wheel. The rear of the bike should be on the center stand. It would be a good idea to tie something from the bottom of the center stand to the engine crash bar to be sure the stand can't fold up. :-(
Ya good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Front wheel installation out of the manual: Right and left as you are sitting on the bike.

Install the side collars (the right side collar is longer than the left)

Place the front wheel between the fork legs. Insert the front axle from the left side until it is fully seated, Make sure the index line on the axle is aligned with the fork leg.

Install the axle bolt and tighten to the spec. 43 ft lbs

Tighten the right axle holder bolts to the spec. 16 ft lbs

Install calipers and grease pivot bolts.

With the front brake applied, pump the forks up and down several times to seat the axle and check brake operation.

Tighten the left axle holder bolts to the spec torque. 16 ft lbs

Check the clearance between the brake disc and caliper bracket on each side after installation. The clearance should be at least .7mm (.028 in)

If the feeler gauge cannot be inserted easily, loosen the axle holder bolts and pull the fork outward or push inward to adjust the clearance. Then tighten the axle holder bolts to spec torque.

NOTICE
After installing the wheel, apply the front and rear brakes several times and recheck the caliper clearances between each surface of the brake disc and the brake caliper. Failure to provide clearance will damage the brake disc and affect brake efficiency.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
dheaton where in utah are you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts