GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike with only 12k miles just developed a front wheel shimmy that starts at about 40 MPH and goes away at about 60 MPH. It has the OEM tires with no uneven ware and the balance weights are still in place. Any ideas what is causing it and how to stop it?

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
You may improve it if you inflate the tires to 40 front and 41 rear if they aren't there already.

Main cure is a new set of tires. They develop front end wobble with badly worn tires.

Did you read the other currently running thread or threads on the subject?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Time for new shoes. Adjusting the pressure could also help but at 12K it is time to re-tire for sure. :yes1:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for new shoes. Adjusting the pressure could also help but at 12K it is time to re-tire for sure. :yes1:
I check the pressure weekly. That is not the problem.

The tires were completely slick on my last Wing, a '03, at 12k, but these tires still have tread and should good for a few mores miles. I have a new set on tires in the garage that I'll put on as soon as necessary.

I did a search, but didn't see anything that I hadn't tried. I just live with it until I replace the tires. I don't go 40 MPH very much anyway.

·
Registered
512 Posts
howdy,,
the front end shimmy is a never ending,,, mystery.. to give you some idea,,,,i put both front and rear on my bike,,,and no decel shimmy for about 3k miles of use,,,the tires after 3k,,of use,,,,does have a slight shimmy on decel...this is slightly different than what you are describing,,as it sounds like you does it on accel as well.
i would guess if you re-tire,,,the shimmy will be gone.
doesnt make any diff what i try in my shoes,,in regards to x lbs tire pressure,,,now,,the shimmy is there,,especially after riding for 6-8 hours and forks/oil are good and hot...the shimmy is more pronounced,,,without a doubt,,,,:)

bc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts