GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Your really need to search this out. There are tons of opine and mystery. Keep your hands on the bars is the official Honda remedy. Reset your head bearings and a myrid of other things are to be touted by the "experts". Happy reading.

prs

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
That piece of plastic is used to hold the tire valve from moving. At high wheel rpms, the valve could bend away from the rim and allow rapid deflation of your tire. I would get the fixed before any further riding. At least ride very slow to your tire repair place of choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pigeon Roost said:
Your really need to search this out. THere are tons of opine and mystery. Keep your hands on the bars is the official Honda remedy. Resset your head bearings and a myrid of other things are to be touted by the "experts". Happy reading.

prs
I did some reading and now I know what you mean. It's just that it's dissapointing that a brand new bike has this "issue".
Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda_Guy said:
That piece of plastic is used to hold the tire valve from moving. At high wheel rpms, the valve could bend away from the rim and allow rapid deflation of your tire. I would get the fixed before any further riding. At least ride very slow to your tire repair place of choice.
I tried to put it back but it won't stay there.

Do you know if I can buy this from Hal @ HDL?

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
You really need to search this out. There are tons of opine and mystery. "Keep your hands on the bars" is the official Honda remedy. Reset your head bearings and a myrid of other things are to be touted by the "experts". Happy reading.

prs
Sorry I forgot to mention the retainer. The one you show is broken and Hal will sell you some. Many of us use zip ties to secure them to the valve stem. I recently stashed away several of the 90 degree valve stems that do not need the retainer and will install those next time I replace tires. I do not have the supplier's web site ear marked, but can get to it Monday if you need or do a search on 90 degree valve stems. I have a shortie straight on the rear now, but that is not a convenient solution -- effective, but not convenient.

prs

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
That could be causing your wobble since it affects the balance of the wheel. As others have stated, you can get another. Personally, I'd take it back to a/the dealer and have them look at it. Could be something wrong with the rim. Regardless, after they put a new keeper on, I'd also ask if they would carefully rebalance the wheel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 06 Airbag wing had 8 miles when I rolled out the front door after paying for it....within one mile I had 3rd gear and took my hands off the bars.....excessive wobble...

Long story short..took it to a dealer in Daytona Beach who loves to work on wings..dismounted front tire and wheel and found factory installed bent wheel...no problem....ordered new wheel and tire and 10 days later life is perfect aboard my wing..

Later I put in Progressive springs....had them balance the tire and wheel in my presence...and checked the rear too...so both are now perfect.

Never would have thought the front wheel would be bent out of the box on a 8 mile old Goldwing!

Things happen...just giving you another avenue in your investigation to solving your problem...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You can replace the 90 degree valves with short, straight ones and not worry about that little plastic piece. Even with the plastic in place, the bent stem moves around and will fail. BTDT. Whatever you do, have the stems replaced every tire or two. They are not as strong as they look.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I have the short straight one on my front tire, no more problem !

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
What wobble? I have never heard of it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Same problem with plastic retainer.
Took it to the dealer, he fixed it by carving away some plastic.
Problem was the "keeper" (my term) wasnt reaching far enough over the the the rim part (aluminum) to click into the reaining position.
Apparently the problem is the casting of the front rim, not the plastic part.
I also have a slight wooble. :shock:

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
This is an older thread that has come to life again. I had not noted the posts about the bent rim(s). If I had a wobbler and had not found the reason (there is a reason - many different reasons - that it wobbles, I would take the tire off the rim and check the rim alone for trueness with a run-out gague. That makes good sense. I would hope the out of true could aslo be checked with the tire mounted, but maybe not.

Its an oddity of the motorcylce world that one often can not test ride a bike one is to purchase -- I believe I shall hense-forth DEMAND a trial ride on the same bke before purchase - or buy eleswhere.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts