GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put the wheel on backwards? I had pulled the rotors and antilock ring off recently to have the rim straightened. Now I see the valve stem pointing to the rt. hand side as sitting on bike. I thought it used to point to the left. Am I going crazy? I know the spacers will only fit correctly one way. I wonder if the place that straightened the rim removed and reinstalled the TPMS and stem?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Is it possible to put the wheel on backwards? I had pulled the rotors and antilock ring off recently to have the rim straightened. Now I see the valve stem pointing to the rt. hand side as sitting on bike. I thought it used to point to the left. Am I going crazy? I know the spacers will only fit correctly one way. I wonder if the place that straightened the rim removed and reinstalled the TPMS and stem?
Probably did reverse it. It should point to the left, and there is a directional arrow cast into the wheel if you look close enough.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Yes the wheel can be installed backwards and work fine, been there done that myself :oops: you can also tell its backwards by compairing the spokes on front and rear wheels

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Look at the rim that the wheel weights clip on to. There is an arrow cast in the rim.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe they broke your left handed valve stem, and erroneously replaced it with a right handed valve stem? :doorag: :coffee1:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I think they put the stem on backward.

Guys, are y'all sure it is possible to install the wheel backward? The LEFT seal has a larger inside diameter to accept the larger part of the axle. I guess if the axle is also bassackward, then maybe it could be done; then again, isn't the LEFT fork's axle opening also larger? Agree with checking the arrow on the rim, but my expectation is that the installer got the stem turned 180 degrees wrong.

prs

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had my front wheel put in backwards by the guy who changed my tire. When I drove away I noticed the ABS light wasn't going out, so went back, and with a red face he put it in correctly.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Not sure if your wheel is on backwards or not? But I have thought for a long that it would be much easier to check the air pressure in the front tire while on the side stand if the stem did point to the right..

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Have a look, is the spokes in this orientation ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not sure if your wheel is on backwards or not? But I have thought for a long that it would be much easier to check the air pressure in the front tire while on the side stand if the stem did point to the right..
That is a good point, I had the same thought. I know a lot of folks have replaced the OEM valve stems with metal stems, some of which do not work with that little widget that keeps the valve stem from flexing. Why not install the new stems pointing to the right.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
That is a good point, I had the same thought. I know a lot of folks have replaced the OEM valve stems with metal stems, some of which do not work with that little widget that keeps the valve stem from flexing. Why not install the new stems pointing to the right.

Are you guys left handed ?

Don't see how that would be easier for a right handed person.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If your ABS ring is on the right side (the correct side) then the valve stem is installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
"Are you guys left handed ?

Don't see how that would be easier for a right handed person."

--

What does hand orientation have to do with anything? Can't you turn a valve cap with either hand? Are all your wrenches right handed ones? :lol:

If it's on the right side, it's easier to check when on the kickstand as it's leaning to the left. On the center, it doesn't matter. Most bikes have them on the right side--at least in the front.

--

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
If your ABS ring is on the right side (the correct side) then the valve stem is installed incorrectly.
:agree: ABS ring can only be installed on the right side of the wheel. There are no bolt holes for the ABS ring on the left side of the wheel.

I had a left handed tooth brush.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update: valve stem orientation

I think they put the stem on backward.

Guys, are y'all sure it is possible to install the wheel backward? The LEFT seal has a larger inside diameter to accept the larger part of the axle. I guess if the axle is also bassackward, then maybe it could be done; then again, isn't the LEFT fork's axle opening also larger? Agree with checking the arrow on the rim, but my expectation is that the installer got the stem turned 180 degrees wrong.

prs
It turns out after removing the wheel to satisfy my curiosity, you are correct: wheel is correct rotation. It appears that the engineers pretty much made it "Idiot Proof" for installation. Valve Stem was rotated 180 deg.
Oh well, I will have to live with it until next tire change. Maybe I will like it that way!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
--

What does hand orientation have to do with anything? Can't you turn a valve cap with either hand? Are all your wrenches right handed ones? :lol:

If it's on the right side, it's easier to check when on the kickstand as it's leaning to the left. On the center, it doesn't matter. Most bikes have them on the right side--at least in the front.

--
What does turning the valve cap to do with anything ? I was thinking use of the gage and adding air, and if I'm checking the front I'm also checking the rear, the Wing has to be on the center stand.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Have a look, is the spokes in this orientation ?

not an expert here but comparing the front wheel here to other pictures, the spokes are turned the same way as other bikes...

Of course it, this picture was posted for the OP to compare his bike's spoke orientation to this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts