GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 500 miles I've noticed a front fork/front end issue I'd describe as wobble or looseness. I bought the bike used about 2k back and did a quick visual of the tread on the front tire and it looked good (cold and rainy day in Ohio is my excuse). With this new problem I got on my knees and looked more closely. I've attached pics. If I'm correct, this front tire is 12 years old (!). Date code 3507? See the pics...is that the date code? Could this old tire be causing the issue? I know tires age out at 7 years so shame on me BUT the question is could this be causing the problem? I've read a lot on here about front end upgrades...should I be looking at that too/instead?

I'll be taking the bike in anyway next week but the more I know ahead of that shop visit the better I can talk with them. Txs.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
IMHO, the sooner the D250's are off the bike, the better.
Honda used to recommend D250's and the G704/G709 pair as factory and as recommended in the manual and on the label inside the trunk lid.
Honda dropped the D250's --but I'm not sure what year. (and I don't know if they are still made)

Don't know if they are the issue you are having, but complaints about traction with them were very common.

I guess I'm not much help -- but I'm on the list of those that really hated D250's.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Whether this tire is causing the problem or not, it has to go! Replace it with a new Bridgestone G709. Properly inflate and balance and take it for a ride to see if that cures the problem. Even if it doesn't, you'll have a much better tire on the ground when you do fix the problem. Curious, what rear tire do you have and its age? You may want to put on a new rear Bridgestone in addition. Many will say the rear tire can cause a front end wobble, too.

Reactions: jryan19

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The back tire is "new"...date code 4416, so made about mid-October 2016 and mounted in 2017 sometime I'd guess. It is a Dunlop Elite E4. Never knew a back tire could cause front end wobble but I'll see what the Jackson, OH dealer says.
Now I'm wondering based on what Farmguy said if that D250 on the front is original? It must be as the bike is an '08 with about 24,000 miles on it when I purchased. Believe me I know it has to go.

·
Registered
519 Posts
New Stone 709 or Dunnie E-4 on the front with either beads or centramatics and I would bet the dreaded wobble would go away. I might stretch a tire to 6 years if I didn't use them up on a yearly basis, but I would by afraid to ride around the block on a 12 1/2 year old tire. I've got 10 year old tires on my pickup but there are 4 of them. I pretty much only use the truck to pull the boat to the ramp about 10 miles away and I can tell the rubber has gotten "hard". Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm currently running a Bridgestone G709 front with a Dunlop E4 rear. They play well together. So far, I've not experienced any of the dreaded wobble on my 2010.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yeah my dunflops had less than 3K on them and were worn out. Change the front tire for sure. Then ride and see if it went away. And yes, a bad back tire can cause the same front end wobble. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
More often than not it is the rear tire causing the wobbles. Tail wags the dog. ;-)

prs

Reactions: Barney Biker 1

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
IMHO, the sooner the D250's are off the bike, the better.
Honda used to recommend D250's and the G704/G709 pair as factory and as recommended in the manual and on the label inside the trunk lid.
I agree. When I bought my first 5th gen in 2004, I turned out of the dealer parking lot and instantly knew I did not trust the tires it came with. Three years later, when I bought my 2nd 5th gen, a 2007, from the same dealer, I turned out of the same parking lot onto the same highway and instantly knew I liked the tire. The '04 came with D250s, and the the '07 came with Bridgestones.

As for the OP question. Lift the front tire up off the ground, spin it, to see if the tire is separating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I now have an 1800 trike, but still have, and had a 1500 with the wobble. I had replaced my rear due to a puncture, and the front looked OK, but had a front tire in my possession when I developed a wobble. Within that week, I replaced the front tire, that for all purposes looked pretty good and had not aged out. But that fixed the wobble immediately. I'm now a firm believer in good tires to prevent wobbles.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lift the front tire up off the ground, spin it, to see if the tire is separating.
What am I looking for? low spots? tire settles at same point every time? I don't thing you mean actual visual belts coming loose, right?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Put an E4 on the front. Also look into changing out your steering head bearings. I put in the All Balls Taperered Bearings and wobble went away. The races on the Honda Ball Bearings had dimples from the balls smashing into them over bumps. I also put on Progressive shock kit. that improved ride overall.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put an E4 on the front. Also look into changing out your steering head bearings. I put in the All Balls Taperered Bearings and wobble went away. The races on the Honda Ball Bearings had dimples from the balls smashing into them over bumps. I also put on Progressive shock kit. that improved ride overall.
Is the bearing swap a fairly straight forward job as a DIY thing, or do you need a lift and it's better if a garage/dealer does it?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
What am I looking for? low spots? tire settles at same point every time? I don't thing you mean actual visual belts coming loose, right?
Look between the tire tread and the horizon and spin the tire. Usually the "horizon" is the garage floor.

So, if that Wing was on a center stand, and I had a m/c jack under the engine to lift the front tire off the ground, I'd be sitting directly in front of the tire with the handlebars pointing forward. As I spun that tire, my eye site would be that arrow. I'd be looking between the garage floor and the tire tread. If the tire has noticeable imperfections you will see them.

Do not focus on the tread ... do not focus on the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look between the tire tread and the horizon and spin the tire. Usually the "horizon" is the garage floor.

So, if that Wing was on a center stand, and I had a m/c jack under the engine to lift the front tire off the ground, I'd be sitting directly in front of the tire with the handlebars pointing forward. As I spun that tire, my eye site would be that arrow. I'd be looking between the garage floor and the tire tread. If the tire has noticeable imperfections you will see them.

Do not focus on the tread ... do not focus on the floor.
Great instructions. Thanks very much. I'll do this.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up for anyone interested. Got the new Bridgestone G709 mounted on the front today and it's all good.

After all your great advice a few weeks back, I took a closer look at the tire and found it was scalloped a bit on both sides (not the sidewalls, on the tread to the left and right of centerline). I don't remember what causes cupping but the tire was past it's shelf life anyway so it's gone and the bike rides smooth again. YEA.

I still might do the anti=dive valve kit this winter, and maybe new springs since the front end still seems to telegraph every little road imperfection or bump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts