GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first ride of the season I noticed my fog light switch was jammed, a common issue with the Wings various switches. The switch was stuck in but the fogs weren’t on. Switch wouldn’t budge. Used a hot hair dryer to try to get the common hardened grease problem to release the switch. No luck. Finally figured out how to remove the switch bank off the bike. Dismantled the switch and discovered the small copper contact inside the switch was burned and it melted the surrounding plastic. Tried my best to clean it up and make it work but it just wouldn’t slide properly. About to give up I noticed the internal switch mechanism is reversible. So I put the micro spring and copper contact in the non burnt side, reassembled it and it worked beautifully. Only trouble is now the fogs are on when the switch is out. Haven’t checked at the dealer yet for a price for a new switch but on eBay they were roughly $65CDN. At that price I’ll probably live with the reversed switch. Any ideas why it would overheat and melt? I always ride with my fogs on to make myself more visible.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Switch is only supports the current for 35watt halogen lamps. It's possible someone installed the higher drawing 55 watt lamps and they will damage the wiring and or switch. Replace the switch, check the bulb wattage or replace the lamps with LED lights that draw far less current.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigBob1

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Reactions: PastoT

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the various links to the needed switch. The problem for us Canadians is that most things ordered from any online US company usually doubles++ in price once shipping and the dollar exchange is factored in. Cheaper to order from eBay/Amazon or at the dealer. Never could figure out why I can get a widget delivered for free all the way from China and the same widget costs more plus shipping is extra if ordered from the US!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Or buy a relay and re-wire the lights so the switch controls the relay and the relay handle the lights.
I did that on my 06 and never had a problem again.

Reactions: Bluecyclone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or the other situation is where sellers in the USA will sell an item including free shipping in the price quite often, but try to have it shipped here and it's costs more for the shipping than the item cost.. LOL.. And don't tell me it cost that much more because it's not that much more.... Oh well..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts