GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trike rider friend, not a site member, who has a frozen rear seat heater switch. She is asking me if spraying it with a silicone spray or something may free it up? She did spray some WD-40 on it, but it didn't work. After some research, it seems that the 06's with comfort package had some issues with this problem. Apparently she had not used the rear heater for several years, which probably contributed to the problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That did not work on mine, had to have it replaced. I just reach back and rotate it every not and then and have not had an issue with the new one yet.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That did not work on mine, had to have it replaced. I just reach back and rotate it every not and then and have not had an issue with the new one yet.
Yes, after hearing of her problem, it is probably a good idea to activate that switcth every now and then. Also, looks like the switch is rather costly, as is labor for installation. On another site, some people are forcing the switch, while spraying WD-40, and it is working in some cases. The argument is, "if the switich is not working, if it breaks, it has to be replaced anyway". Makes sense to me.

S

·
0 Posts
Weird that a heater switch would be frozen. It's almost as bad as a freezer switch over heating. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have an '06 bought new. The rear heater switch really sucks. I replaced mine a couple years ago. Very hard to turn. Not sure why Honda would design it this way.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird that a heater switch would be frozen. It's almost as bad as a freezer switch over heating. :rolleyes:
Very true!:shock:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is very difficult to turn as well. Tried to turn it on a couple weeks ago and had to turn on it hard enough I thought it would break, but it finally relented and turned...

I had planned on taking it apart to clean up, but maybe I should just plan on replacing it. Mine also has gone years without being touched. Only recently started riding two up with someone that shivers on the bile when it's 70 degrees. I guess I'll have to do Fred H's resistor mod for her...

For now I'm just leaving it on. If I understand correctly, it only activates if she's in the seat.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Spray it with radio shack plastic safe electrical cleaner with lube and it seems to help it. After time they get where they're really hard to turn. I don't know if its because of the seal they use on the switch or not. But the radio shack spray is now part of the maintenance on the wing.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Mine is very difficult to turn as well. Tried to turn it on a couple weeks ago and had to turn on it hard enough I thought it would break, but it finally relented and turned...

I had planned on taking it apart to clean up, but maybe I should just plan on replacing it. Mine also has gone years without being touched. Only recently started riding two up with someone that shivers on the bile when it's 70 degrees. I guess I'll have to do Fred H's resistor mod for her...

For now I'm just leaving it on. If I understand correctly, it only activates if she's in the seat.
It heats, passenger or not, but running it without a passenger won't hurt it any way.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Gang,
The wife informed me the other day that ours was real hard to turn. Well, I got back there and had to force it a bit in each direction. After cycling it several times, it's loosened up quite a bit. But, like the radio knobs, I was trying to pry the off so I could squirt some lube in the shaft but, it ain't coming off. Do yours come off and mine's stuck on there or, do they not come off that way?

For now, it's working fine but, in reading your posts, it appears that some fairly frequent maintenance of some sort is in order. Thanks for the heads up.
Scott

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Well,
No one knows if they (the knob) comes off or not?
Scott

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Scott, I have never taken the knob off, but it is built just like any other electronic control and the knob had to be put on after the potentiometer was mounted in the box, so yes it comes off. Now, whether or not you can get it off without damaging the knob or box, that's yet to be seen. If you pry it off and break it, a new one is only $40 from HDL. :thumbup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hah . . . I had mine apart, and reshaped the ramp for the detent ball. Just a little. Too much, and the ball can fall out, if I remember correctly. Works a treat, now. But, honestly, I don't remember how it came apart. I think I just had to pry it out of the little box, and carefully watch for flying parts. I got lucky and never lost anything.

And, it's not a pot. It's basically a selector for a few circuits. Mix/combine a few paths.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Hey, you're right, I forgot that thing is a selector switch with resistors in a network layout. Still, it had to have the knob put on after it was installed into the box. :thumbup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm sure sorry I didn't document, or for that matter, remember what I did to get it apart. That was close to 4 years ago. I'm lucky to remember what I did last week :eek:4:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts