GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the complaints about how much of a rip-off it is for a Honda Line CB radio, poor performance and problems associated with this OEM CB: why not just install an FRS (Family Radio Service) or a GMRS radio into the GL1800 audio system and enter the 21st century?

Both the FRS and the GMRS radios would out perform the OEM Honda CB radio for a fraction of the cost using Kennedy Electronics harnesses from what I have researched.

Are there many here that use this set-up? Are there better ones out there?

See: http://65.77.234.212/gl1800_frs_radio_system.htm

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That's a relatively common installation - I think it really boils down to who you ride with. Since most touring bikes are still cb-equipped, you have to play to the majority.

If all you ride with are other FRS-equipped bikes, it's a no-brainer. I know of many bikes that are equipped with both (these installations require an extra PTT button for the FRS radio).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We vastly prefer FRS/GMRS FM sound over the AM CB sound. We still use both by unplugging one type and plugging in the other. We use the Kennedy connector.

David M.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
FRS is all over CB but when you buy a radio you need to buy a good one. I tried 3 cheap radios and they all had a loud static burst at the end of transmision that the receiving headset would pick up as very unpleasant. The better radios do not do that. Best of all is the Kenwood TK-3101, it's a bit pricey but you can snag one off of ebay for a good price.

·
Registered
270 Posts
radio

This past August, my brother and I traveled over 16,000 miles using the FRS radios for bike to bike communication.

For this application, I can think of nothing better.

Yes, the CB is still the method used on most bikes but the FRS is catching up fast.

It's easy to use, inexpensive and has a great sound this makes it a good choice for bike to bike como.

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
I have been using FRS since about 97 on various bikes and have never looked back. I could never go back to CB again, it would be such a huge step backwards for me.

I have FRS on both my Wing and my FJR and love it.

Jon Kennedy makes an interface box for the Wing, and the Autocom intercom system is also designed to connect to FRS. I doubt I will ever own a bike with a CB. It is like comparing bows and arrows to a Winchestor 30-30.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jon said:
That's a relatively common installation - I think it really boils down to who you ride with. Since most touring bikes are still cb-equipped, you have to play to the majority.

If all you ride with are other FRS-equipped bikes, it's a no-brainer. I know of many bikes that are equipped with both (these installations require an extra PTT button for the FRS radio).
He is right! I have the kennedy set - it works.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've been looking at the Rino 530. FRS/GMRS radio plus what appears to be a pretty decent GPS.

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin Rino products? (A search for Rino yields meager results...)

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all those that replied. Our Wing group has decided to go with the FRS radios along with the Kennedy hook up if our two lab animals, I mean riders, give back a favorable report in the coming month. :lol:

·
Registered
322 Posts
FRS radio

Hey guys,

Forgive the dumb question but this is the first time I am hearing about FRS radio in lieu of using the CB radio. My question is, if you have this better FRS radio will you be able to talk with others that own a CB or are you limited to other FRS radio users.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
With stock Honda gear, you only get one or the other. When it's just the wife and me, we use FRS. When we ride with the groups, we use the CB.

I wonder if one could install the stock CB at huge cost, and still use the Kennedy stuff for FRS, which uses the intercom system, at the same time.

A group of us were trying to put together a DIY kit that could do both and connect to the bike's cb circuitry and act just like the Honda unit. We got so far as prototyping and building some test boards, but people got sick and family members got sick, one's family member passed away, and the impetus was lost. The target was the kit was to sell for under $200.

David M.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David M. said:
With stock Honda gear, you only get one or the other. When it's just the wife and me, we use FRS. When we ride with the groups, we use the CB.

I wonder if one could install the stock CB at huge cost, and still use the Kennedy stuff for FRS, which uses the intercom system, at the same time.

A group of us were trying to put together a DIY kit that could do both and connect to the bike's cb circuitry and act just like the Honda unit. We got so far as prototyping and building some test boards, but people got sick and family members got sick, one's family member passed away, and the impetus was lost. The target was the kit was to sell for under $200.

David M.
Answer to your question is YES! My riding buddy is doing just that. He's got the OEM Honda CB and will be installing the Kennedy kit along with his FRS which means he can communicate at the same time to both the CB riders and FRS riders if need be.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
cptdenny said:
Answer to your question is YES! My riding buddy is doing just that. He's got the OEM Honda CB and will be installing the Kennedy kit along with his FRS which means he can communicate at the same time to both the CB riders and FRS riders if need be.

I had both the CB and Kennedy FRS on mine but could not use them at the same time using the PTT switch and a passenger PTT button hacked into the CB system. I had to turn off the CB in order to use the FRS. My information on this came from Jon at www.cellset.com . Has something changed since I installed mine a year ago?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ddking said:
cptdenny said:

I had both the CB and Kennedy FRS on mine but could not use them at the same time using the PTT switch and a passenger PTT button hacked into the CB system. I had to turn off the CB in order to use the FRS. My information on this came from Jon at www.cellset.com . Has something changed since I installed mine a year ago?
See: http://www.cellset.com/FRSET_PTToptions.html

Indirect keying may be used if:

"If both the bike's OEM two way audio and the alternate two way radio are turned "on", both will key when you press the bike's OEM PTT (unless you physically disconnect the PTT connector from the alternative radio)".

Let me know if your research on this subject is different than what I just posted. My riding buddy relayed this info as from the "horse's mouth" ( www.cellset.com ) (800-287-7033 or 316-776-1111)
last week.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I wasn't thinking of *transmitting* on both at the same time, rather having them both connected to the bike and working one at a time. :)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
cptdenny said:
[

"If both the bike's OEM two way audio and the alternate two way radio are turned "on", both will key when you press the bike's OEM PTT (unless you physically disconnect the PTT connector from the alternative radio)".

Let me know if your research on this subject is different than what I just posted. My riding buddy relayed this info as from the "horse's mouth" ( www.cellset.com ) (800-287-7033 or 316-776-1111)
last week.
Here's what I read from the link you gave:

Your bike has an OEM PTT system installed and you will not operate the bike's OEM two way radio and another two way radio at the same time.

Indirect keying is using the CB PTT. My information came straight from the horse's mouth as well. However, there is no guarantee that I understood him correctly. Since I understood him to say that I should not operate both at the same time, I never tried it. I would be perfectly happy to be wrong here. However, if I were someone else reading this thread, I would place a call to them at cellset and ask to speak with "Mr. Ed." :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts