GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all
I am curious as to what kind of luck people have had using frs radios and autocom systems. Autocom has two systems and they both look good but has anyone installed them.
t.i.a. ken l

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I need to try FRS ... See what it is all about :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the autocom system and a GMRS radio (same as FRS, just more freq's) on my VTX...and it works very well. Noise cancellation is amazing.

I am going through the process of trying to figure out how to adapt it to my new Wing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi
I use a GMRS radio with the Autocom Pro-7 on a BMW R1150GS and I use a GMRS radio on the regular Goldwing intercom with the Kennedy FRSet. The Autocom set works great as long as you get a good radio! Just a warning with GMRS radios you really get what you pay for. With the Autocom I first tried using a set of Midland 5 watt radios. All kinds of trouble - would work at a stop but reception and transmission was terrible. Replaced the radio with an ICOMM GMRS, what a difference! The ICOM works great.

I hope this helps. On our Goldwing I have Mic-Mutes and the Kennedy FRSet and I think this set up works great.

Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
124 Posts
JillRide9 said:
I first tried using a set of Midland 5 watt radios. All kinds of trouble - would work at a stop but reception and transmission was terrible.
Jill,
Just for information, the Midland 5 watt radios actually do work OK. I had the same trouble with them, and the problem was with the Kennedy FRSet. It requires a minor modification to work with all of the newer Midland radios.

Jon has acknowledged this to be the case and will make the modification, or in my case, told me how to do it over the phone. No more transmission problems.

--Bill

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bill,
The Midlands worked fine on the Goldwing with the FRSet but not with the Autocomm. Go figure! But since I had to purchase the ICOMM to use with the Autocomm I gave it a shot on the Goldwing (same connectors). The ICOMM, even at only 2 watts, gives much better signal than the Midland. I have also heard really great things about the Kenwood Radios. Just my $0.02.
Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bill<

We have had the Auto Com systems now for two years and have had no problems especially with the Kenwood FRS radios.
I have one set up on my wing and my wife has one on her BMW K1200LT.
They have very good range and I like the fact that you can pick another channel if someone is on the one you chose.
The other features are xm radio plug and cell phone plug to work thru your helmet speakers.

Take Care and Ride Safe

Steve Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
JillRide9 said:
The ICOMM, even at only 2 watts, gives much better signal than the Midland.
OK Jill, tell me what model ICOM you are using now. I'm always up for trying something different, especially if it uses the same plug as the Midland.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts