GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually try to buy gas here locally at a shell station that sells a lot of gas. On a trip of course you never really know what you are getting. Do any of you run a additive regularly?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would not say I run it regularly, but if I suspect I may have gotten some bad gas or a bit of moisture, I give my 2013 a small shot of Seafoam, always helps never had any issues.
Others may disagree and your mileage my vary as they say, but my experience has always been good with Seafoam.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
In mid November I add a dose of Stabil to a tank full of fresh gasoline since it is possible the bike will have some or most of that gasoline in the tank until March. Otherwise, no.

prs

Reactions: K hale and Clamper

·
Registered
605 Posts
During the riding season here, usually March - October, I never do because of being on my bike several times a week, so gas does not get old. However during Nov- March I add sea foam to each tank just in case bike sits several weeks without riding so it doesn't get old. Never a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
During the riding season here, usually March - October, I never do because of being on my bike several times a week, so gas does not get old. However during Nov- March I add sea foam to each tank just in case bike sits several weeks without riding so it doesn't get old. Never a problem.
I use Stabil at the end and very beginning of the riding season for the same reason. Also, I put a single dose of Techron in a full tank after season is underway and try to run it until the low fuel light comes on to help keep fuel injector clean. Probably hocus-pocus but I read somewhere Techron is the only fuel additive proven to work. (Probably on Chevron website, ha ha!)

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is a thread that is covering injector cleaning products that shouldn't be to far down the list of threads if you are interested.

Reactions: K hale

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Everytime I plan on taking a very long trip on my wing and I know that I will be using up a complete tank of fuel, I do add a half can of fuel injector cleaner to the tank.... (Is it snake oil and does nothing/or is it really cleaning out my fuel injectors) I've never really had any problems either way, BUT i'm hoping that I'm doing my injectors good, and keeping them clean, and spraying fuel correctly...

DOES ANY ONE REALLY KNOW FOR SURE????

Ronnie

Reactions: K hale

·
Registered
400 Posts
In case anyone is interested or already been posted or you don't realy care.Here are the Top Tier licensed retail brands in the United States:

ARCO
Aloha
Amoco
BP
Beacon
Break Time
Breakaway
CITGO
Cenex
Chevron
Conoco
Costco Wholesale
CountryMark
CountryMark PLUS
Diamond Shamrock
Express Mart
Exxon
Fast Fuel
HFN – Hawaii Fueling Network
Harmons Fuel Stop
Hele
Holiday
Irving Oil
Kirkland Signature Gasoline
Kwik Star
Kwik Trip
MFA Oil
Marathon
Metro Petro
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
QT
QuikTrip
Ranger
Ranger Fuel
Ranger Mustang
Ranger Stallion
Ranger Thoroughbred
Reeders
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Sinclair
Sunoco
SuperAmerica
SuperFuels
Texaco
Tobacco Outlet Plus Grocery
Valero
Value America
WOW
Win Win

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In case anyone is interested or already been posted or you don't realy care.Here are the Top Tier licensed retail brands in the United States:
I'd like to know how many different companies supply gas to those 50+ brands. Something tells me it is a LOT less.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I suppose each area of the Continent has their own supply chain. As for Southern Alberta, my son works at one of the (3) "terminals" that supply ALL of the fuel in the southern part of our province. One of those three supplies fuel for one brand only. That source is actually from a refinery in Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No..... but to each their own.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Big guys supply each other at the terminals, but my understanding has been they additive packages for each brand are added as the fuel is transferred to the truck for delivery.

Which of course means that a discounter may not have any additive package in the fuel they are selling.

I always buy fuel from one of the big guys that include an additive package, and don't feel the need to add anything additional.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I usually try to buy gas here locally at a shell station that sells a lot of gas. On a trip of course you never really know what you are getting. Do any of you run a additive regularly?

Nope..No need too.:smile2:

·
Registered
998 Posts
EverytimeIs it snake oil and does nothing/or is it really cleaning out my fuel injectors
DOES ANY ONE REALLY KNOW FOR SURE????
There is ONE proven cleaning chemical for combustion chambers and injectors. It is polyetheramine or P.E.A. for short.

Find a cleaner with it and it will work.

Techron is Chevron's trade name for P.E.A.

What Gumout has to say: https://gumout.com/our-ingredients/

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I were to use an additive on a regular basis, it would be Marvel Mystery Oil. Yep that's right, I said it. It's one of the oldest chemicals that was originally created by the Marvel Carburetor Company back in the day. And I do mean back in the day! I have been using it for decades. I use it in virtually every gas operated engine I have. In my opinion, it is one of the best carbon dissolvers and top cylinder lubricants I have ever used. Used regularly it will keep your valves, injectors and pistons clean. Recommendation is 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas. I don't recommend it for water dissipation. However, if some of you are old enough, you will remember a product called Siloo for Gas Tanks. It was sold in a tall orange can.

Big H

·
Registered
998 Posts
If I were to use an additive on a regular basis, it would be Marvel Mystery Oil. Yep that's right, I said it. It's one of the oldest chemicals that was originally created by the Marvel Carburetor Company back in the day. And I do mean back in the day! I have been using it for decades. I use it in virtually every gas operated engine I have. In my opinion, it is one of the best carbon dissolvers and top cylinder lubricants I have ever used. Used regularly it will keep your valves, injectors and pistons clean. Recommendation is 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas. I don't recommend it for water dissipation. However, if some of you are old enough, you will remember a product called Siloo for Gas Tanks. It was sold in a tall orange can.

Big H
What's in the Mystery oil? From their MSDS:

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- antiwear/extreme pressure agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants
- antiwear/extreme pressure agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- extreme pressure agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- extreme pressure agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts