GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saw on the news today that the gas in my area will be switching from mtbe to ethanol or some other additive
my question is are there any known issues woth any of the market wide additives??? has anyone found any differences when using gas with different additives than you are used to using???

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Your mileage will improve a little once MTBE is gone. Actually, MTBE causes it to drop. The two older vehicles that I had at the time CA turned to MTBE both had a 30% drop from the very first tank full. Getting far enough away from CA on a trip where there was no MTBE would allow a return of the usual MPG. With MTBE, I could never get more than 210 miles on 6.2 gallons on either 1800 (usually having to gas up at 170). Since 76 does not have MTBE (using ethanol), I can get as much as 250 on 6.2 gallons. I have no problem with paying a little more for 76 over a generic with MTBE to get the MPG gain along with the benefit of not polluting our water supply with this poison.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Fuel Additive.

Book says page 212 Ethanol @ 10%
MTBE @ 15%
Methanol @15%
also states Oxygenated Fuels must meet minium octain reqirements

·
Registered
891 Posts
MTBE

That stuff is way better than ETHANOL,I can't see how that guy got such bad result with it.I use to work in a Refinery that replaced the lead,and give good milage.We would pure it straight in our trucks and get 20mpg,but burn the electrodes off the plugs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
MTBE

That stuff is way better than ETHANOL,I can't see how that guy got such bad result with it.I use to work in a Refinery that replaced the lead,and give good milage.We would pure it straight in our trucks,about a gallon and get 20mpg,but burn the electrodes off the plugs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DDL said:
Your mileage will improve a little once MTBE is gone. Actually, MTBE causes it to drop. The two older vehicles that I had at the time CA turned to MTBE both had a 30% drop from the very first tank full. Since 76 does not have MTBE (using ethanol), I can get as much as 250 on 6.2 gallons.
I have to agree with douglas, I had about the same MPG results with MTBE fuel and my old Cavalcade ran better using 76 fuel (non MTBE).

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts