GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the does and don'ts on fuel additives and/or injector cleaners. Any perticular brands?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Chevron Techron is no doubt the best, never had a bike tech. recommend
anything else. Plus I sold it for years in my auto store. I have it in my
'02 GL now and will change oil and filter when I run thru it. I stored an '02 Kawasaki Voyager for about 10 or so months when first started did not want to accelerate put techron in took about 125 miles then ran great.
john

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
A bottle of Techtron every 10k or so in all vehicles..

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've had better success all the way around with Sea Foam over Techron or any of the others... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Johnny Boy said:
I have it in my '02 GL now and will change oil and filter when I run thru it.
After running injector cleaner, you need to change the oil and filter? I'd never heard of that, but wouldn't be surprised. There are a lot of things I've never heard of. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
With ethanol becoming more and more common in gas, I wonder about the needs for other cleaners--- ethanol is a very aggressive "cleaner" all by itself. It's even caused trouble in older engines by digging years of gunk off the tanks and lines and dumping it in the carb...

"At first you may need to change the fuel filter more often as the ethanol cleans out the fuel system, but once that is done fuel filter replacement will go back to normal. Ethanol can loosen contaminants and residues that have been deposited by previous gasoline fills. These can collect in the fuel filter...."
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa102100a_2.htm

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was told by my local dealer mechanic not to use fogging oil for storage. It will damage the oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fuel additives

I have been very pleased with the super tech fuel injector cleaner from Walmart.It will flat clean out carbon deposits and is about 1/3 the cost of techron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts